yet another uninteresting cook... (4) 9 lb. butts and (2) 6lb. spatchcocked chickens. Plan to rub the butts tonight with a simple trifecta (sea salt, coarse ground black pepper and paprika) liberally applied, put them on @ 9pm tomorrow to pull them off by 9am, wrap in foil and hold them in a cooler til noon. Put chickens on @ 9am to pull them by 11am. Unwrapped butts and chickens @ 12pm. Chop chickens, pull the pork. Shower, shave and shuffle on over to my cousins house. Party @ 2pm. 

737008520_47qPHJsPT2qbxiOOA1nPA_thumb_1316.thumb.jpg.5183c6669f9f7675a2f0dbf31b29755d.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yet another uninteresting cook... (4) 9 lb. butts and (2) 6lb. spatchcocked chickens. Plan to rub the butts tonight with a simple trifecta (sea salt, coarse ground black pepper and paprika) liberally

Thanks @Vanole. Virginia Beach? Yikes! My heart goes out to the city and though it is now controversial to say (for some strange reason) I am praying for those familes affected.   The BJ hel

start small, miss small...       so... four butts walk into a bar...     on @ 9:20pm

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Vanole said:

I think that 4 of a kind, and pair of spatchcocked chickens you are preparing is going is going to make for one happy special "full house" at the party.

Looking forward to finished product pictures.

It’s funny, I bought (4) butts planning to feed forty. (3) might have done it but it’s so much cheaper buying the pair @ RD.  The chicken of course is for those that won’t eat the pork. Now they’re also wanting to cook metts, hot dogs and sausages. There is going to be so much leftover. :-D

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Hopefully everything went off without a glitch last night with the butts and chickens cooperate as well.

Additionally hope your weather is better in your locale than here in Va Beach. Been pouring here since around midnight.

Thanks @Vanole. Virginia Beach? Yikes! My heart goes out to the city and though it is now controversial to say (for some strange reason) I am praying for those familes affected.

The BJ held a steady 238ish° when I went to sleep @ 3am. It was 238° when I woke up @ 7:30am. The two butts came off tender @ ~200°. The larger butts register ~195-200° away from the bone but @ 180-185° nearer to the bone. Would have pulled them however, they still have too much tug closer to the bone. Too sleepy to do two separate wrapping sessions so I wrapped all four and put two in the 'cambro' and put the larger two back on for a bit.

134704035_133si73USehxZYACCumg_thumb_1321.thumb.jpg.688bdf04bdde57bdfee40154a894f016.jpg

YOJBo0xHRsCnNF7F83Sjtg_thumb_1322.thumb.jpg.6dd010506a5da6b5b8b58c24f3318dab.jpg

For sure was not a banner day in Va Beach. Heart and prayers go out to the families and a huge BZ to the first responder.

"Da Twins" aka Danny & Arnold or Vincent and Julius look great basking in their pre cook glory.

Going to bed. Last two things I prepared was the hot dogs, metts, smoked sausage and the granny slaw.  No pics of the finished product as fatigue had set in. Everything devoured except for (1) butt which is surprising. Everyone loved it. 

DC3A8AA2-99DF-4CA4-9032-A79EC687C114.thumb.jpeg.5c5c3ae3c09ffec6dcd5ee2cc20a70c7.jpeg

B6E5070D-5EC1-4710-BEFB-572AEADCB9C8.thumb.jpeg.4bd61cc41791985b9e9550187e42612b.jpeg

Edited by CentralTexBBQ
19 hours ago, Ron5850 said:

Looks like that party was the place to be at. It sure looks like you put in a lot of hard work getting that wonderful cook together. And I'm sure it was a lot of fun for you as well.

Too much really... but it was my wife’s cousin’s 60th and it was rewarding to see how much she appreciated it. 

18 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Ok, now I need to know more about granny slaw....  give us the scoop on that, @CentralTexBBQ...

Oh sure, I thought I shared it before. For (40) I used 1.5 heads of red cabbage, 2.5 large Granny Smith Apples julienned, 1.5 lbs. of shredded carrots, ~1.5 cups of Miracle Whip. Hand mix ingredients add salt, coarse ground black pepper, apple cider vinegar and rice vinegar to taste. I use more rice vinegar than apple cider. It mellows out the strength of the cider. Chill and sprinkle the top with more bp because, in CenTex we can’t have too much bp.