15 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Oh sure, I thought I shared it before. For (40) I used 1.5 heads of red cabbage, 2.5 large Granny Smith Apples julienned, 1.5 lbs. of shredded carrots, ~1.5 cups of Miracle Whip. Hand mix ingredients add salt, coarse ground black pepper, apple cider vinegar and rice vinegar to taste. I use more rice vinegar than apple cider. It mellows out the strength of the cider. Chill and sprinkle the top with more bp because, in CenTex we can’t have too much bp. 

Maybe you did share before. It sounds slightly familiar. But I’m glad you shared it again. Thank you!  Going on the to do list. :)

8 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

That looks like a great looking spread.

Thanks @TKOBBQ, I wish I had gotten a decent pic of it after 'the women' went to work setting up everything for the party. The setup was pretty amazing and there was quite a bit of food offered that I did not prepare– bbq beans, broccoli slaw, potato salad, fruit salad (in carved watermelon halves).

On 6/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, Vanole said:

For sure was not a banner day in Va Beach. Heart and prayers go out to the families and a huge BZ to the first responder.

"Da Twins" aka Danny & Arnold or Vincent and Julius look great basking in their pre cook glory.

@CentralTexBBQ your food, as always looks amazing! ONE day i will get mine to look like yours, and also thank you for the slaw recipe... always goes great on top of a sammich

@Vanole, I used to live in VBVA... after my discharge from NAS Oceana (F14 Electrician)

i am saddened to hear about the events of late and my heart goes out to those affected...

i assume it was at the PA Municipal Center?

22 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Thanks a bunch @TexasBlues!! I'm sure you've already past me. I suspect there's some great food jumping off of that Primo

nope... 

for some reason the learning curve has become an icy road for me on the Primo... i'll get there eventually...

I think i over-worry it... like most everything else i do..

over build, over think, over engineer etc

On 6/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, TexasBlues said:

for some reason the learning curve has become an icy road for me on the Primo...

Tell us about the road!

Not ONE meat so much as techniques...

my process is as follows:

decide on what i want to make

hit up meatheads site for technique/recipe... make notes

repeat at GURU... watch vids, read posts, make notes...

then i invariably commit a heinous rookie mistake of COMBINING the techniques/steps and creating a third (usually useless) technique of my own which doesnt always SUCK, but could certainly benefuit from improvement...

case in point, last time i did a butt, i had a boneless one (didnt read the label when i bought it)... ended up with 2 smaller ones so i thought... hmmm shorter cook time, it will work

fast forward...

my INTENT was to cook to 160 (at 250*) and pull/wrap it and cook to 190 internal...

i ended up cooking to 190 without a pull/wrap... and while it was good, the smaller of the 2 was a little over cooked and a little on the dry side... the larger one was better, although the bark never took off like i wanted it to

steaks come out great, i have yet to bone them up... 

burgers are typically over cooked, but i blame that on pre-made patties

i will not grind my own meat as i am terrified of a meat grinder (i know, my panties are showing)

my biggest complaint about myself is the fact that i simply CANNOT/WILL NOT leave the *&%$! thing alone once it is set... i have to force myself to find something else to do to create a diversion so it can cook unmolested

and pick ONE method to try and keep my head on straight (not combine more than one method)

it really IS a me thing

i am cooking butts for a Dad's day get together... there should be about 25 total people (kids and adults) and dogs/burgers will also be served

my plan is 15-20 lbs RAW, bone IN, and put on the Primo saturday night late for an all night cook (using SmoBot for fire maintenance)... remove from heat, cambro in a pre-heated cooler, and pull apart on site (thinking that a solid mass will retain heat better/longer), and hope that it is acceptable to the masses

anything else i should look for prepare for?

the 'party' starts 12-1230 and i PLAN to have the meat cooked by 9-930A... the cambro stage will be approx 3-4 hrs

A good finishing sauce for your PP.  Definitely good for adding moisture if needed.

Blu'S PIg Juice

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

10 tablespoons ketchup

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

1 1/2tsp red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon white sugar

1/2 cup water

1/2 tsp salt and black pepper

Directions

In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the vinegar, ketchup, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, and water.

Simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the sugar dissolves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and let cool. The longer it sits the better it gits

If ya like a little heat and less Sweet in your sauce this is MY favorite on Pulled Pork & chicken

Thanks @TKOBBQ!

this is yet another instance of my ADD kicking in...

i was originally thinking  of adding some rub to the meat after pulling, but NOW i see this for juice...

maybe a batch of this on the side for those that are interested... 

too many choices makes for indecision...

34 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

Thanks @TKOBBQ!

this is yet another instance of my ADD kicking in...

i was originally thinking  of adding some rub to the meat after pulling, but NOW i see this for juice...

maybe a batch of this on the side for those that are interested... 

too many choices makes for indecision...

I absolutely add my rub to the finished pulled pork. Sometimes, I add a sauce. Perhaps, you've hit on the solution however. Decide what you want to do; stick with it; don't tamper with the cook; pull it when it's done. 

Also, cooking to temp is fine. You might want to combine that with cooking to tenderness as a second check. The Texas mantra is "It's done when it's done".