Everything I cook on the Akorn seems a little dry to me, even though I put a pan of water on the smoking stone.  The only item that doesn't is Turkey because I inject it with butter. Any thoughts?

I haven't encountered this; actually I found water pans made everything a bit mushy. Part of that is how you're cooking (temp, how long) and what kind of stuff you start with. Can you add some specifics?

Dry was never an issue on the Akorn, per se, but thing don't always work. What were you cooking and how? I could never get a good brisket flat out of it, but full briskets, pork butts, ribs, poultry, etc. were all good if I cooked them properly. There were some techniques that worked better (cutting rib slabs in half) on that configuration. What are you cooking?

Of course, I was converted to the church of the remote thermometer years before I saw a Kamado, even if I have to thank this community for finally getting me to spring for a good one!

Have fun,

Frank

Dry in any Kamado is rare, particularly if you're using a water pan. I never use one in my Akorn, just a drip pan for meats that need one. 

I'm curious as well as to what you're cooking that turned out dry, temps, etc? Also are you using the stock dome thermometer? Mine is pretty accurate once the grill is heat soaked, but others have had issues with theirs being 25 to even 50 degrees off at times.

The only thing I've ever had come out dry was brisket and imo a lot of that depends on the quality of the cut off meat. I've gotten away from briskets for that reason as they continuously become more expensive for a properly marbled cut. 

Edited by JDEaston

Still find ribs too dry.  I cook to 140 degrees and have tried 225 degrees for a long time and 325 degrees for a shorter time, but to 140 degrees for the meat.