ebterrier

Shut down time

Well, cooked last night and 24 hours later the fire still felt warm. Opened the lid for 10 minutes and she fired right up! Only plus is I don’t need to use any more fire starters lol. Sent a message to kJ to see what they can do. My guess is a new top cap/vent and maybe a bottom one too. I’m not looking for free stuff just want to get it fixed. They are already sending me a new shelf as one of the welded little piece that hold the shelf up broke off the second time putting the shelf up. 

On 6/8/2019 at 12:40 AM, ebterrier said:

Cooked a brisket, everyone liked it but I think they were being nice. Closed vents and grill stayed at 160 for 6 hours. With the slo roller in you cannot see that coals or fire. So took it apart and sure enough red coals at the front of the grill. Tossed in a couple woods chunks and shut her down.....top vent, bottom vent and all around the lid. 

3F0164C2-120A-4C3A-8768-7647E3153C2A.jpeg

I had smoke rolling out everywhere like this a few weeks ago after I cooked a brisket with no drip pan. I wanted to bring the heat up so that I could grill some chicken right after I took the brisket off, but once I let the fire grow, it started smoking everywhere like crazy from the grease. Just to see what would happen, I closed all the vents for a bit and saw smoke leaking out of both top and bottom vents as well as all around the lid seal. Eventually, I just opened the lid and the bottom vent all the way and let the fire go crazy and burn the grease directly off the top of the deflector plates (I wish I had taken a picture; the flames were impressive!). However, I don't have any trouble getting the fire snuffed after a cook. I just close the lid and the vents and wait an hour or two, depending on how big the fire had been.

2 hours ago, SPORO said:

I had smoke rolling out everywhere like this a few weeks ago after I cooked a brisket with no drip pan. I wanted to bring the heat up so that I could grill some chicken right after I took the brisket off, but once I let the fire grow, it started smoking everywhere like crazy from the grease. Just to see what would happen, I closed all the vents for a bit and saw smoke leaking out of both top and bottom vents as well as all around the lid seal. Eventually, I just opened the lid and the bottom vent all the way and let the fire go crazy and burn the grease directly off the top of the deflector plates (I wish I had taken a picture; the flames were impressive!). However, I don't have any trouble getting the fire snuffed after a cook. I just close the lid and the vents and wait an hour or two, depending on how big the fire had been.

Brisket or Butt without a drip pan is a bad idea. Hot grease that is oxygen starved is what causes flashback when you open the grill. Always burp a kamado before opening especially when doing high heat. People have lost a lot of hair and have gotten burned from a kamado flashback. 

Also all that grease down in the kamado can seriously ruin a cook a few cooks later. Chicken flavored with burnt brisket grease just doesn't taste very good. 

15 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Brisket or Butt without a drip pan is a bad idea. Hot grease that is oxygen starved is what causes flashback when you open the grill. Always burp a kamado before opening especially when doing high heat. People have lost a lot of hair and have gotten burned from a kamado flashback. 

Also all that grease down in the kamado can seriously ruin a cook a few cooks later. Chicken flavored with burnt brisket grease just doesn't taste very good. 

Yeah, when I did Boston butts over the weekend just now, I used a drip pan after the brisket experience. I'm in the habit of (almost) always burping it whenever I open it regardless of temp or other conditions, but I was extra careful when it was burning all that grease off, and as I said in my last post, I made sure it burn all the grease off before I put the chicken on. It only took about 45 minutes, and the chicken turned out great!

Dealing with Kamado joe has been nothing short of awesome. Sent a warranty claim last night (mostly just asking the question) and got back with me less that 24 hours later. They are sending me a new top vent. It’s backordered a few weeks but all good. 

@SPORO I’ve done a few long cooks and some hot cooks and it still won’t shut down. So Im sure it’s just the top vent. (Crosses fingers)

Don't think the top vent will help, usually it takes 2 openings to have air flow. In the photo posted by SPORO their is air flow at the top and bottom vent. This could keep the coals glowing very small . MIne goes out after 2 hrs i then open top an 1/2 inch to help cool dome. Sporo love the stand

My opinion...I think we expect too much from these grills - especially new out-of-the box.
Ten years ago when I got my Bubba Keg, information was not as plentiful on Kamado Cookers as it is now. Fortunately there was a forum for Bubba Keg Grills and I gleaned what I could from them. My Bubba had some shut down, temp holding and smoke leaking issues when it was new. The advice was to seal up around both vents, which helped a great deal. The next step - as I was advised - was to go to the butcher and get some unsellable Pork scraps and cook them  to seal up any other small leaks during the cooking process.. Cooking the Pork scraps did help some more but ultimately it took several months of semi-reglar bugers, butts and steaks before I considered it "really close" to leak proof. During that break in period I learned a lot about the grill.
I don't keep my grill squeaky clean. I need the "seasoning" to prevent leaks. When I do a cleaning - usually when the pressure washer is nearby - I give it a short blast to knock of the bigger stuff, but try not to disturb the areas around the gasket and the vents.
These grills are built to tolerances as close as can be attained with ceramic or steel within reason($) - but they aren't rocket ships.
The best advice I got from that forum was "learn YOUR grill" they're all "individuals".
Have patience - don't worry if your grill doesn't shut down as quickly as someone else - even if it's the same grill. Charcoal, weather, the length of the cook and other factors might influence your cool down.
Have fun - eat good...your grill takes time to develop its own personality.

Edit to add: I'm only relaying the advice I was given and my experience - not suggesting there's not different or better ways...except for the "Have fun - eat good" part. :)

Edited by Rip
Disclamer:

13 minutes ago, Rip said:

My opinion...I think we expect too much from these grills - especially new out-of-the box.

I disagree with this. When someone spends $1k-$2k maybe more certain things should be expected. A kamado that doesn't leak and shuts down without issue is one of those things that I expect. If it's a simple fix not a big deal but post after post are kamados that have leak issues that are more than a simple fix. 

The last kamado I bought was a Primo Oval Jr. It has shutdown without issue from day one. It is by no means a budget kamado. For the money I paid I would have been a little upset if it had leak issues. 

Here is a graph of the shutdown after today's 6 hour cook. The final big dip is when I pulled the ABT'S off the Oval Jr. Temperature was right around 415* when I shut the vents. Two hours later it was down to about 215*.

Going out to turn off and disconnect the ThermaQ Blue. I'm on vacation with the Oval Jr. If I have enough time in the morning (before going to the beach) I'll plug it back in and snap a picture of the morning after temperature. 

This is a good representation of a normal shutdown without any leaks. 

shutdown1.thumb.jpg.a75f0c7dad72fba79c6906e4ad0b7669.jpg

I totally understand that rolling some smoke and using the grill will eventually make a little build up and eventually seal up some leaks. If the air leaks did not result in my lump still burning 24 hours later it wouldn't be much of a deal. The last time I fired it up all I had to do was open the lid which ignited my lump in just a few minutes. Once I receive the top vent I will test out shut down time to see if I need to make any adjustments to my bottom vent. Might just need to bend the door a little. Like I said before, Kamado Joe from my few experiences has been awesome. Really happy with my purchase besides the leak issue. Oh well. I still plan on cooking.

This is about 9 hours after I shutdown the graph (11 hours after shutting the vents). We're at ambient temperature. 

shutdown2.thumb.jpg.941917d4340e84c5fb0d359278bf2cfb.jpg

EB 

Sorry about getting the owner of the grill mixed up, my excuse is i have a lot of gray hair (maybe not a lot anymore) I looked at the grill pic  and it looks like the slide door is warped or bent a little compared to mine. The curve on mine matches the curve of the slide. With the coals being lit at the front of the grill more than likely that is where your leak is. Let us know if you bending the door helps.  I'm curious about this. Where in northern calif are you? wife's granddaughter is in Vacaville. 

3 hours ago, len440 said:

I looked at the grill pic  and it looks like the slide door is warped or bent a little

Me, too.