ebterrier

Shut down time

3 hours ago, len440 said:

EB 

Sorry about getting the owner of the grill mixed up, my excuse is i have a lot of gray hair (maybe not a lot anymore) I looked at the grill pic  and it looks like the slide door is warped or bent a little compared to mine. The curve on mine matches the curve of the slide. With the coals being lit at the front of the grill more than likely that is where your leak is. Let us know if you bending the door helps.  I'm curious about this. Where in northern calif are you? wife's granddaughter is in Vacaville. 

No problem bud. It does look a little warped. The right side of the slider tab of the bottom vent I can push down a little, where the smoke is coming from. So it might just need a little rebending to get a better fit. As for the fire being in the front. The last one the fire was in the back, go figure lol. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:03 AM, len440 said:

So your a couple of hours from gods second garden of Eden, called Napa. Any up dates on the shut down problem? 

lol I didnt see this post earlier about napa. Same thing, cooked last night and still warm this morning about 150 degrees. I shook the basket to get all the ash out so hopefully its out by the time I get home from work in a few hours. The good thing is that its not burning all my lump. Just a small hot spot.  But if I open my vent or lid it would start back up. Oh well. 

Another $0.02 worth you may have more than 1 leak. While you wait for the new top, you might want to try adjusting the dome if you have smoke there the seals might  not be tight enough, I saw a posting awhile ago about sliding a dollar bill around the seal to check for tightness. I remember when ij got my classic 2 i had to adjust the front latch.  Also check if it's leaking around the outside of the bottom vent not just the door. Try correcting one thing at a time, if you fix too mant things at one time you never know what the problem really was. Learned this repairing radios in the military.