Killer Kamado

What do you wish you knew sooner about Kamado Cookery?

33 minutes ago, Killer Kamado said:

Mastering the process though... 

Is part of the Fun process ..

Make alot of bad food to learn to make Good food .

The only thing I wish I would have learned earlier was how awesome kamado cooking was.  I feel like I wasted years on my gasser.  Everything else I learned, I feel like I earned?  Maybe that's a weird way to phrase it but I'm ok with the fact that I had to learn specific things.  It made it more memorable. 

19 hours ago, shuley said:

The only thing I wish I would have learned earlier was how awesome kamado cooking was.  I feel like I wasted years on my gasser.  Everything else I learned, I feel like I earned?  Maybe that's a weird way to phrase it but I'm ok with the fact that I had to learn specific things.  It made it more memorable. 

I was a looooong time devoted gasser, too (still am on chili night... :roll:). I wish I learned about kamado cooking earlier. My prior experience with coal-fired barbecue and grilling was limited to cheap-o kettles, disposable grills, and cruddy public park grills. Also, I had no experience with lump, only briquettes, so I had a negative outlook beyond gassers. 

A BGE-owning buddy showed me the light...

to be patient...

with my fire

with the edibility learning curve...

and with myself... in MY eyes, I am a complete (insert adjective of your choice here) stumbling thru the educational process that is kamado cooking... in reality, my family has yet to turn down a meal made with fire in any way, shape, or form... even things i would be reluctant to give to my ex-wife

and of course, finding this forum which is a goldmine of info

1 hour ago, TexasBlues said:

to be patient...

with my fire

This. Fires need to mature.

I knew briquettes needed to ash-over before cooking, I learned lump needs the same thing.

- When using a chimney, all the lump needs to ash-over before dumping

- When lighting in-situ, wait for the thick white smoke to clear before adding food (or smoking wood)

HAve fun,

Frank

Temps can be difficult to control precisely. But cooking hotter only means quicker and that doesn't always mean with less wonderful results. Within limits of course. I have learned, "don't sweat it"! 

Also, I want to second the previous thoughts! All Valid! 

Small adjustments & don't chase the a precision temperature. If the grill settles in the ballpark of the temp you were shooting for, that's good enough.

Electric starter is a nice, cheap, mindless way to start charcoal fairly rapidly.