Well, i`m all set to go have a look at a KJ classic 2 tonight. Price was digestible for a series 2 so i`m going in with the intention to give it a good looking over and scoop it up. What areas or concerns should i pay close attention to while performing due diligence.

Make sure it has the components that come with a new Classic II:

• Air lift hinge
  • Divide & conquer flexible cooking rack and stainless grates
  • Aluminum control tower top vent
  • Wire mesh fiberglass gasket
  • Multipanel firebox; five panels, base and steel ring
  • Cast iron charcoal grate
  • One pair of ceramic heat deflectors
  • Ash tool
  • Grate gripper
  • Side shelves and cart
  • Owners manual with serial number 
  • Air lift hinge locking tube and parts

Look for any interior cracks in the bowl and dome, especially along the very bottom where it's flat (you'll need to remove the firebox). Fine crazing on the exterior is OK.

Examine the area around the lower vent for cracks or splintering.  

Look closely around the dome interior near the chimney. You're looking for radial cracks.  

Same for near the hinge on the dome.

Ask if the owner registered the grill for warranty purposes. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, yeah i`m a bit concerned about possible ceramic cracks. She only speaks French so there wasn`t a whole lot of info between us....thank god for google translate! BTW what`s the significance of acquiring the owners manual and serial # assuming that as the second owner i won`t be covered on the grills warranty? Also i guess the covers aren`t included on these right?

Cover: only if she has one. 

The manual is useful but you can pretty much get any question answered here or in the KJ Facebook group. Just don’t ask about the purpose of the small steel tube. :) . Not unless you like social media abuse. 

But double check to see if she registered the grill. Still good to know. 

How about a morning chuckle to start off your day! So i go over to meet the seller of this KJ classic 2 with a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket  anticipating my search is over and i`ll live happily ever after with this KJ that she`s advertising. Her pic showed a pristine classic 2 sitting on a beautiful deck soaking up the sunshine.  I get there and it`s a pathetic looking original dinosaur who`s been used and abused  screwed, blued and tattooed ! Obviously it was not a series 2 and It had a noticeable crack in the firebowl along with the older triangle style piece with no divide and concur and no pullout ashtray.   Can you buy all the pieces for the pullout ashtray system that will fit right in? ...Because of the missing ashtray, it had a second perforated vent slider for the sparks. How old was this classic?

10 minutes ago, Smoking Section said:

Her pic showed a pristine classic 2 sitting on a beautiful deck soaking up the sunshine.  I get there and it`s a pathetic looking original dinosaur who`s been used and abused  screwed, blued and tattooed ! Obviously it was not a series 2 and It had a noticeable crack in the firebowl along with the older triangle style piece with no divide and concur and no pullout ashtray.  

reminds me of a few blind dates...

2 hours ago, Smoking Section said:

How about a morning chuckle to start off your day! So i go over to meet the seller of this KJ classic 2 with a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket  anticipating my search is over and i`ll live happily ever after with this KJ that she`s advertising. Her pic showed a pristine classic 2 sitting on a beautiful deck soaking up the sunshine.  I get there and it`s a pathetic looking original dinosaur who`s been used and abused  screwed, blued and tattooed ! Obviously it was not a series 2 and It had a noticeable crack in the firebowl along with the older triangle style piece with no divide and concur and no pullout ashtray.   Can you buy all the pieces for the pullout ashtray system that will fit right in? ...Because of the missing ashtray, it had a second perforated vent slider for the sparks. How old was this classic?

At least six years old. The perforated ash tray was in my 2012 model. 

You can order all of the parts but honestly I think I’d just go buy a new one. As someone once said, any business relationship that starts with a deception can only go downhill. She misrepresented the grill by using a photo from the KJ site or similar.