Sign in to follow this  
msimon905

Newbie attempting a brisket

Hi Everyone! My name is Mike from Houston, TX. I have a big joe coming Friday, and I plan to do a brisket on it Saturday. Any particular brand of oak chunks that are consistently better than others? 

It took me a while to get my brisket down - I relied to heavily on internal temp and not feel when I first started and about every other one turned out good. I find I would rather do a couple flats than a full packer. Mine still aren't perfect - which is part of the fun - every once in a while I turn out a masterpiece, and still have those that I cube and save for chili. 

Is this your first kamado?  If so, I'd try a butt first while you are dialing how to maintain a low and slow.  They are far more forgiving.

If you have cooked on a kamado before, then no need to heed my warning. 

Welcome to the forum Mike and congrats on the new grill!  There's been a lot of discussion about smoke, mostly which type of wood to use for different types of proteins.   I have a hard time telling the taste difference between hickory and oak, I certainly wouldn't be able to tell what brand of oak is better than another.  Just stay away from pieces with a lot of bark and you should do fine.  Best of luck with your first cook!

On 6/4/2019 at 2:05 PM, msimon905 said:

Hi Everyone! My name is Mike from Houston, TX. I have a big joe coming Friday, and I plan to do a brisket on it Saturday. Any particular brand of oak chunks that are consistently better than others? 

+1 to briskets aren't the easiest thing to smoke until you have learned to control your Kamado.

If you're determined, do a practice burn on Friday, so you have some idea how to set vents for low and slow cooking, then keep the dome thermometer over the "OK" in SMOKING on the dial, 225-240F. A water pan helps with temperature control.

Plan 2 hrs./lb.plus a little rest time. When it hits ~165F internal, swallow your pride and wrap it in foil until it's ~200F and real jiggly. Then rest. Dry meat sucks, so err on the side of juicy. Use the foil as a boat to catch it all, then skim the fat and return it. 

Question about oak chunks... you only need a handful of smoking wood, chunks are the right size, and any brand will do, but...

You do need a bowl full of fairly chunky fuel for a long, low cook. Unless you have premium fuel (e.g. KJ Big Block), I suggest pulling out pieces, rather than dumping the bag. You'll get less of the really fine stuff, and better airflow around the fuel as a result. And I'm serious about "full," make it hard to fit the deflectors... a truly full fire bowl. 

I's been a year and a month since mine arrived, and I'm contemplating a 5-flat cook this weekend, but only after getting three good ones in a row - I've got a process. You'll develop one too!

Have fun,

Frank

On 6/8/2019 at 8:48 PM, DEW said:

Greetings from Boston. How did your first cook go, Mike? 

It went very well. The Big Joe made temp regulating a breeze.  I did another cook yesterday with better results.

Both  cooks used B&B Post Oak chunks, but I went a little too light in the first cook. I had a nice flavor, but the smoke ring was smaller than I wanted. So yesterday, I went a little heavier on the chunks and got a great ring with no adverse, acrid flavors.