Mrwordsworth

Need advice on ribs and whole chicken cook for fathers day

I want to cook 2 babyback ribs and 1 5-7 pound chicken on fathers day weekend. I figure my ribs will take around 4 hours to cook at 275 degrees or so. Would sliding in a whole chicken be doable or would this seriously complicate things? I need a calculator on cook time for that pound bird. 

What do you guys think?

28 minutes ago, Mrwordsworth said:

I want to cook 2 babyback ribs and 1 5-7 pound chicken on fathers day weekend. I figure my ribs will take around 4 hours to cook at 275 degrees or so. Would sliding in a whole chicken be doable or would this seriously complicate things? I need a calculator on cook time for that pound bird. 

What do you guys think?

Have you thought about doing several leg quarters as opposed to whole chicken.  I have much better results with leg and thigh quarters as I do a whole chicken, unless I busting out the joetisserie. 

I generally also do whole chickens on the rotisserie.  I have spatchcocked whole chickens, and than made them cook much faster than I expected.  I can't remember the time because it was years ago.  So good though. 

I did forget to mention it will be spatchcock chicken. I love that method but I've only cooked them at 350. Dont know if it's safe to cook lower and slower with a big piece of poultry.

275 is plenty safe for a spatchcock chicken, but skin will need crisping at the end. Baby backs can take a little longer than spares, so I would give yourself more time. 

Thanks for all the tips guys. I plan on getting my oven to 450 to crisp the skin after internal temp is achieved on the grill.

Baby backs take longer than spare ribs? I would think the opposite since spares typically have more meat.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:30 PM, Mrwordsworth said:

Baby backs take longer than spare ribs? I would think the opposite since spares typically have more meat.

Every rack is different, and I would think the opposite as well, but I have had BB’s take some extra time to get where I want them.  FWIW, I don’t wrap which may play a role. 

If you plan extra time and don’t need it, you can hold them or eat some ribs early. When I don’t plan extra time and need it is when my stress level goes up and bbq fun level goes down. 

I did this for mother's day last year. With the heat deflector in place (legs up) I started the ribs on the top rack. I cooked the ribs for 2 hours  then removed the heat deflector and slide the spatchcock chicken in on the bottom rack so it is cooking direct while acting as a heat deflector for the ribs. Since the ribs are almost done you don't have to worry about any drips on the chicken. At 275 dome temp (using the OEM dome thermometer) I find ribs cook in about 3-3 1/2 hours no wrapping/foiling. Removing the deflector the chicken cooks direct in about 1-1 1/2 hours. When the ribs were done I pulled them and raised the temp to 325-350 until chicken was done (maybe 15-20 minutes after the ribs). 

Also dark cherry wood for smoke. Unbelievably good on pork and chicken. 

Using chicken as a deflector is a great idea!

I cook chicken halves indirect at 400 for 30 minutes followed by direct for two or three minutes a side to crisp and brown.

After fathers day report: cook went great! I cooked a 7 pound whole chicken spatchcock style on the bottom grate and two baby back ribs above. My cook temp was around 280 and I started at 1pm. The chicken hit 160 at the breast in two hours (with heat deflector). I took it out and mopped with sauce, then put in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Came out great!

After 3 hours on the grill I wrapped the ribs in foil and cooked for another hour. After the one hour mark they came out perfect. I put the sauce on while I got my grill temp up to 400 and then cooked for about 10 minutes.

Everyone loved the food including me. Next time I'll start the ribs first and then add chicken as another person suggested. I just didnt want to chance it not being done. Thanks for everyone's advice!