Heat Guns for igniting lumpwood? Pros/Cons

I use a propane torch, attached to the same 1 gallon tank for the last year and a half plus (and I kamado cook multiple times a week year round). Gets things going exactly where I intended them too, almost always in under a minute. I still have the same tank attached, wondering to myself how long it is going to make it.

5 hours ago, Family_cook said:

When I try the MAP torch the area above the coals quickly runs out of oxygen and my torch dies and I have to restart it.  Do you not experience this issue?

Most torches don't work well when the torch is upside down some work fine upside down.  Any chance that could be the issue here?

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using a harbor freight heat gun for a few months, but as of late it’s been getting harder and harder to get the coals going. 

So, this week, I went out and got a MAPP torch. Not even $50 for the torch and fuel. It lights the coals way faster. Did pizza last night and had the coals going in 4 spots in less than 20 seconds. 

I just got the butane/battery powered EGGnitor from BGE and after lighting 3 fires so far I really like it. I didn't like the idea of corded electric lighters but with this you don't need a cord and if you use it correctly it isn't scorching hot when you're done.

This long Bernzomatic pulls combustion air at the top and therefore does not starve for oxygen.   For a kamado grill you can hang it on the side.  I had another torch that was a pain because of the "starving for air" problem.  

Like others, I like the Weber cubes that you light and walk away from as well.  I use both techniques depending on the day and application. 

image.png.145122eb716160f2d4b2a4f57bebd5a9.png

I’ve tried starter cubes, chimney, oiled paper towels, Bison Air Lighter, and I’m sure there’s more. Finally went to propane and definitely do not regret it. If I want a small fire for long cooks I just light a small area. If I want a fast hot fire I light multiple areas. In addition to supreme effectiveness, I think it’s the most portable and cost effective way to light the lump. 

423BA8C2-F31B-4A61-B195-3D3E133F9D80.jpeg