Another Pizza

len440

Had a little trouble lighting the charcoal. I think it was because of all big pieces and no small pieces , had to move some coals around and relight the right side.But once it caught awat it went.

The world has gone Super Size (for the worst) - I'm not fond of XL lump. MD and LG pieces work best. XL can give you problems when lighting and can have problems jump from one XL piece to the next XL piece when doing low-n-slow. 

Sometimes it's better to buy the XL lump. Then the smallest pieces in the bag are medium and you can always bust up the XL pieces. 

I have been using rockwood charcoal (last 2 bags ) i used to use royal oak for the last 15 years or so but last 3 bags were nothing but 1/2 dollar size and below pieces. That load in the first pic was as it came out of the bag very very few small pieces. Only had this kamado joe 2 since last july so i'm still learning about the fire management, lot different than using a chimney  with my other grills. This rockwood doesn't smoke as much on startup and doesn't impart as much smoke flavor as the royal oak.I think the rockwood may be cooked more at the charcoal place cause it sounds more  musical clinks when dumping (make sense)? I may do a butt soon so i can compare it with the royal oak. I'm keeping a log book as i learn the grill so i can compare the results. rereading this post make me think if the wood is cooked more at the manufacture besides making it sound lighter when poured the volitives in the wood may be cooked out more which might make less smoke on start up. Any opinions? 

50 minutes ago, len440 said:

i used to use royal oak for the last 15 years or so but last 3 bags were nothing but 1/2 dollar size and below pieces.

This rockwood doesn't smoke as much on startup and doesn't impart as much smoke flavor as the royal oak.I think the rockwood may be cooked more at the charcoal place cause it sounds more  musical clinks when dumping (make sense)? I may do a butt soon so i can compare it with the royal oak. I'm keeping a log book as i learn the grill so i can compare the results. rereading this post make me think if the wood is cooked more at the manufacture besides making it sound lighter when poured the volitives in the wood may be cooked out more which might make less smoke on start up. Any opinions? 

I too used RO almost exclusively until sometime ago. Since then I've switched to higher end lump. Recently I decided to burn through my last 2 bags of RO I had out in the shed. Both bags were almost entirely like you described. Chips 1/2 dollar or smaller. The second bag was so bad I threw half the bag out. I will never waste my money on RO again. 

Wood that is fully carbonized ("cooked more") will barely smoke if any at all. It's better to add your own smoke wood chunks then have unknown smoke coming from the lump. I especially don't like companies like RO that use multiple different wood sources. (never really know what you are getting) 

I have a lump whisper thread on here. Take two larger pieces of lump and clink them together like you would two drumsticks (not chicken - LOL). Less dense lump will give you a hollow sounding thud. The denser lumps that are more carbonized will sound like glass clinking together. Become a lump whisperer - listen to your lump B)

When you do this with 2 low end lumps say RO and Cowboy you can't really tell the difference. Do this to RO and a dense South American lump it's a very noticeable difference. 

Your thinking is on the right track as far as lump goes. 

CK

I agree with your explanation on the carbonization ( i could not think of that word on my last post), as for my smoke comment i meant at startup, RO charcoal kind of looked like a old steam locomotive, now yo know my age group. with smoke coming out of the top vent . The rockwood has very little smoke when starting. On the pizza above  my wife noticed that the pizza had very little if any wood flavor compared to the three  other times i used RO. It's  amazing how complicated something like a piece of charred wood can be. Maybe we should do a discussion on brands of charcoal and our experience with it , and comments. On second thought this might be a VERY opinionated subject, at the least it would be of more value then the nakedwiz site that is outdated.Time to get the joe ready for some pork chops tonight and see how much ash and left over coal i have after the pizza cook.. We finally had 3 days without rain, but 5 more days of rain on the way.

5 hours ago, len440 said:

I am still amazed that we can turn off charcoal to be used later.

That's one of the things that sold me on my KJ. In my younger days, I got tired of cooking something on charcoal and after the cook was finished, still having enough burning charcoal to keep cooking, but letting the charcoal burn up seemed like a waste to me.