donl1150

Anyone out there? Need QUICK help!!

Got a 12# boneless tied prime rib on the Kamado classic.  Been smoking for 3 hours at a 230F and two probes show about 125F each.  That is telling me it is almost time to take off....let rest and get to 135 medium rare in a half-hour.  This is my first prime rib and everything I have read says 30-40 minutes per pound which means 5-6 hours, not 3.  My problem is dinner isn't until 4 hours from now.

Any suggestions?

ps - I have turned down Joe to 120F and am keeping the lid closed.

Welcome.  Stop by and introduce yourself.  

I dont know about your prime rib, but I generally don’t rely on time vs pound numbers.  They it should be time vs thinnest route to center.  If you had a thin 12 lbs roast vs a thicker cube like 12 lbs roast, cook times can be totally different.

Ok, onto your issue.  First off, you are fine and in a good place.  

Wrap your roast in a couple towels and throw that in a cooler. That should get you 3-4 hrs of food safe temps.   

Thanks Ben!  That is kind of what I was thinking.  Do you think though that it will rise up too much past the desired medium rare point?  Conversely, when I unwrap and serve, will it be too cool?

I was thinking of doing the wrap and then about 30 minutes prior, have the Joe smokin hot and put it back on for a few minutes each side to give it a nice sear and also warm it up.  ??