DWFII

aluminum foil packets

I have a lot of smoking pellets. When I had my WSM, I used to make up foil packets of these pellets to create and add smoke flavour.

Sometimes though, when the cook was done, I noticed that the foil was burnt through...almost as if it had oxidized.

With all the talk about galvanized steel being toxic, I wondered what happened to the aluminum and whether it created harmful fumes.

Anyone know anything about this?

Aluminum is reportedly the most abundant element in the Earth's crust. I never worried too much about it but I don't use aluminum for that purpose anymore because it doesn't work well in hot fires. I use cast iron now because it doesn't burn up.

7 minutes ago, T Yelta said:

. I use cast iron now because it doesn't burn up.

How do you do that?

I have a stainless steel Amazn smoker tube...is there any reason I can't fill it with chips or pellets and place it on my plate setter or smoking stone? Will the chips smolder?without catching fire?

Anyone tried this?

13 hours ago, DWFII said:

I have a stainless steel Amazn smoker tube...is there any reason I can't fill it with chips or pellets and place it on my plate setter or smoking stone? Will the chips smolder?without catching fire?

Anyone tried this?

I've only used mine to cold smoke but from what I've read on here you might have issues with air flow since the fire beneath the tube is consuming the available oxygen. I've thought about putting mine in the ash pan to catch the oxygen as it comes in but haven't had a need to try it yet.

14 hours ago, DWFII said:

So, have you stopped using chips and pellets too? Or do you handle them some other way?

I really just use chunks now.owever, in hot fires OR to help reluctant fires heat up more quickly, I will sprinkle pellets onto the lump.