matthewsgrill

DIY Kamado Cap Snuffer

I bought a 5.5 QT stainless steel bowl on amazon and lined it with hi temp gasket. To my delight it fit perfectly over the cast iron top vent. My goal is to more quickly snuff out the coals after a cook (it seems to really take a long time to go out and eats up a lot of my coal after a cook!)

IMG_6865.thumb.jpg.6313510034501cfcd3d33fca602c4b66.jpgIMG_6866.thumb.jpg.82263ff5f986ad78b566b620b334352c.jpg

I also used the hi temp gasket to line the vents.

IMG_6867.thumb.jpg.03b304a35884a23034d7fdd8e3075a39.jpgIMG_6868.thumb.jpg.e85c9dcd3df7d729d94cabd074613c8d.jpg

I haven't tested it yet. What do you guys think, will it work!? I'm curious if my new stainless steel bowl will really do much, or possibly damage the ceramic of the grill. We shall see...

If your lower vent seals, the fire goes out with the top vent open. 

I suggest a smoke check? Get a good fire going, throw a handful of wood chips on it, close the lid and close the vents, tight as you can. There's enough O2 in a recently-sealed Kamado to burn a while, heating air and causing it to expand and blow out any leaky spots. The smoke makes it obvious. The more it streams out, rather than releasing wisps, the worse the leak. 

Have fun,

Frank

I dont have much air leaking on mine and I have the same model as you. I close the vents and there is always plenty of lump left over after the fire goes out. Some have had issues with the ash tray not being tight enough and have adjusted the slides a bit inside and were able to get it snugger, but I am fine with how mine works, I wont be touching anything on mine any time soon. 

On 6/12/2019 at 12:38 AM, matthewsgrill said:

@fbov Interesting. These vision vents sure are tricky. I'm feeling a little buyers remorse dealing with these leak issues. 

I'll report back with a smoke test!

When I was looking for a Kamado, reading about all these leak issues on the cheaper brands convinced me to spend the money and get the Kamado Joe.

The other thing was the fact that the Joe came with a lot of accessories (divide and conquer as an example) that the others did not.

I have never regretted my decision and I have had mine for about 5 years now.

Two updates:

The bowl works nicely. It definitely seems to help the kamado drop temps faster when I make my novice mistakes of overshooting temp. It also seems to help cool the coals quicker. I'm going to also try to remember to spread out my coals after a cook as I've heard that helps!

After a smoketest, per @fbov's reco, I have found a decent air leak on each side of the vent intake insert just behind the edge where I have drawn in red. I used some high temp lavalock silicon to go ahead and fill all around this area (ended up just going around the whole insert for good measure).  Does anyone know if this is standard on these visions? I wonder why they wouldn't just do this better when manufacturing. 

I suppose at this point, it will be finally air-sealed. I will report back with another test. 
851084027_leakyvision.thumb.jpg.5214d6580f406f5cc5d8b2fb79aa2e3a.jpg

2 hours ago, matthewsgrill said:

...found a decent air leak...

Great news! (only in the sense that now you can fix it, it's not good that you have a leak!)

Frank