thebossman1911

dealing with the stall

Agree with ckreef.  I always light a side and let it burn across for a low and slow.  I had trouble with the old style KJ bottom charcoal grate with the holes drilled in it.  Threw that in the shed and bought a KAB, because KJ didn’t have another product at the time.  I have loaded it up to the handles and cooked 20+ hours with charcoal still left in the basket.  With the charcoal basket, you don’t need a wiggle rod to try and keep the holes clear.  Best upgrade accessory I have ever purchased.

16 hours ago, Ogopogo said:

Regarding stacking: when I started with my Akorn I had constant problems trying to maintain low temps without the fire going out. These problems went away when I started building the pile with large pieces/wood chunks on the grate, smaller stuff on top of that, to maintain an air channel.

If you're using lump you shouldn't ever have to clear ashes mid-cook, plus it's possibly a fire hazard if the ash catcher has live embers hidden inside.

Ya that's what I am going to do next smoke I do in a few days hand pick some large pieces and put them on the bottom

15 hours ago, Stihlmushrat said:

Agree with ckreef.  I always light a side and let it burn across for a low and slow.  I had trouble with the old style KJ bottom charcoal grate with the holes drilled in it.  Threw that in the shed and bought a KAB, because KJ didn’t have another product at the time.  I have loaded it up to the handles and cooked 20+ hours with charcoal still left in the basket.  With the charcoal basket, you don’t need a wiggle rod to try and keep the holes clear.  Best upgrade accessory I have ever purchased.

Dang that's awesome I found out about that last night and I'm already sold in it for sure!

21 hours ago, ckreef said:

I disagree with lighting in the middle for low-n-slow. All kamados tend to have a burn pattern. Some burn from the back to the front. My three main kamados burn from right to left. If I light in the middle and they burn to the left side sometimes they have a problem with burning back around to all the unburnt lump on the right side. 

Knowing those kamados like burning from the right to left I always start low-n-slow fires on the far right side of those kamados. I also have an Akorn Jr and it liked burning from back to front so I always lit that Kamado in the very back for low-n-slow. 

This mainly applies to low-n-slow when you want the longest burn time possible. Quick high heat cooks I light in the middle since the length of time needed isn't critical. Over time you should be able to figure out the burn pattern for your kamado. Use that burn pattern to your advantage. 

Dang i never wouldve known that ill have to pay attention on my next smoke for sure where it burns thank you!

On 6/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, SeaBrisket said:

Experience tells me otherwise and it's little effort. I have an old pot I scoop my used charcoal into with garden gloved hands, I throw some new lump into the bottom, and pile the old on top. Takes a minute and when I haven't bothered with it I've had temperatures hang well below my target.

Ok, truth be told, if I have a large amount of smalls, when I stir I direct them to the perimeter. Then dump and light. But that’s about it.  Smalls on top is a sound idea in theory, but imho in practice makes only a slight improvement. Though I will agree there is a slight airflow improvement with smalls away from the bottom.

On 6/12/2019 at 8:57 AM, Stihlmushrat said:

You load it up to the handles? So lump is basically right below the grate in the top position? How do you use a heat deflector?