Golf Griller

Grilling With the Need to Replace Gasket

I have a KJI Classic. The gasket needs to be replaced, and I have the replacement gasket. Just have not had a chance to replace it yet. When I am cooking I see some smoke escaping around the edges of the grill; however, I am able to hold temps from 225* to 400* with no problem. The grill also shuts down without any problem and I have plenty of coals left for my next cook. Here is a picture:

1273391258_OntheGrill.jpg.dab01436cc5f04d066824ac2b06e4041.jpg

My question is am I doing any damage to my grill without a gasket?

I have a BJI that just turned 1yo, and went to brush some dirt off the gasket and noticed the felt was coming with it! I sometimes see slight smoke leakage on one side, and have had to "adjust" the interface a little on occasion by being a little less gentle closing the lid. It snuffs just fine, but I like the cushion idea, too!

Time to research the felt-gasket-replacement threads. 

HAve fun,

Frank

I don't even recall how long ago I purchased my Primo but it has been a hand full of years.  I was ready for a new gasket about 3 years ago but even though I purchased a replacement I just never got around to doing it.  I see smoke sneaking out etc but it cooks just the same as always, not sure I will ever take the downtime to replace it, perhaps one day.

No, you are not damaging your grill at all.

+1 to the above.  As long as you can control temps you're fine.  When my gaskets gets back i can't do a low and slow without temps creeping up and that's usually a trigger for me to replace.  Each grill is different though.  I do like the cushion of a fresh gasket though. :)