• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      It’s been hot this last week here in Low Cal (Upper 90’s to low 100’s) but today it cooled off, so I grilled a few Cheeseburgers. I started out by cutting 2 russet potatoes up into 1/8th and then tossed in some OO and seasoned with some fresh ground salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and some thyme. I then seasoned the patties with Primo Chicago Stockyard rub. Here they are on the grill ready to be flipped.

Flipped them.

I then removed the patties and toasted the buns. While they were toasting I added some cheddar cheese slices to the patties. Once the buns were done I put the patties back on to melt the cheese.

Here it is plated up with the Steak Fries and a Modelo Especial.  

YUM!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Sent the long weekend off in style with a Double Meat Double Cheese Burger. Fired up Jr. for the patties.

Flipped and removed them when they were done so I could add the cheese.

Toasted the buns.

One more time of the grill to melt the cheese.

Plated this up with some watermelon, potato salad and a Stone Brewing Xocoveza. (Yum!)

After a few bites of this monster.

So good!

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      For the long weekend we started out being invited over to our neighbor’s house for hamburgers. I was tasked with grilling up some corn.

Once these started getting some golden-brown char marks, I put them in a large rectangular pan and covered them with foil. We took this over with two each, 3 portion plates of fixings. One plate had a stick of butter, salt and black pepper for traditional American style corn of the cob. The other plate had some mayo, Tajin seasoning and come Cotija Cheese for Mexican style street corn. Didn’t feel like I should be taking pictures at their house so that’s all I can share from the 4th.
      Today I grilled up some hamburger patties on my Akorn Jr. for some cheese burgers.

After they were done I removed them and toasted the buns while I added the cheese to the burgers.

One more stop on the grill to melt the cheese.

Here is mine plated up with some potato salad, some watermelon and a Stone Brewing Vanilla Bean Porter.

There nothing quite like enjoying a good cheeseburger on the 4th of July weekend.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to cook things she’ll like, most of the time , so I cooked up some Chichen Shawarma. Started out by skinning and de-boning some chicken thighs that I had thawed out. I cut each in half and set them aside in the fridge.

I now got out the ingredients for a yogurt based Sharwarma marinade.

Everybody in the pool

and gave it a good spin with the whisk.

I then put the chicken thighs in and stirred it up to get complete coverage on all surfaces.

I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge to rest overnight. Now I made up a batch of Tzatziki.

Link to recipes:

The next day I broke out my vertical spit.

And loaded it up with the Shawarma and topped it with a nice thick slice of red onion

After I had preheated my kamado up to 325 for 1/2 hour I put the Shawarma in.

I checked on it after about 25 minutes and knew it could go much longer.

After about 1 hour I started getting everything ready. I cut up my veggies

and got the Tzatziki out.

I also set up my craving station.

Once the Shawarma developed some char on it, I removed it and sliced off the outer layer and then placed it back in the kamado.

I warmed up some flat bread and spooned on some Tzatziki and then made up some Shawarma Sammi’s.

Here they are served street food style with a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and some mandarin orange slices.

SO GOOD!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I love Tacos al pastor but have never made them myself. They are a popular street food here in SoCal and Mexico and I finally decided to try my hand at making some. Forgive me as this is a long one.

I started out by thawing a Pork Butt I had in the freezer that I had purchased on sale for $.99 a lb. (7.93 lbs.)

I unwrapped it and found there was still some ice crystals on it. (which is what I was hoping for to make cutting it easier)

I cut it in half and deboned the other half.

I proceeded to cut it all up into approximately 3/8” slices.

I placed this into a large container, covered it and placed it into the fridge. I now gathered up the ingredients for the al pastor marinade.

Here’s the recipe I used. (It’s a combination of several recipes I watched on YouTube) Not shown in the picture are the pineapple juice and the vinegar.

8 lb bone-in pork shoulder (deboned)

4 tablespoons achiote paste (I used 1 – 3.5 oz. brick)

2 guajillo peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

2 ancho peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

3 Chipotle peppers + all the adobo sauce from 1 - 7 oz. can

5 garlic cloves

¼ small white or yellow onion

1 oz. Piloncillo (substitute brown sugar if you can find it)

1 tbsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

1 tbsp. cumin                                                                            

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

1 tsp, cloves

½ cup pineapple juice

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup OO

¼ cup of the water from re-hydrating the peppers

¼ cup orange juice

¼ cup lime juice

1 pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1-inch (2 cm) rounds (for the spit/trompo)

(Note: I only had some small guajillo chiles so I used 6 of them)

Everybody went into the pool for a spin.

I poured some marinade into the bottom of a very large bowl and then some pork slices.

I repeated this process until all the pork was in the bowl and pour the rest of the marinade over the top. I then stirred it until everything had a nice coating.

Now how will I cook this? Tacos al pastor is a dish developed in central Mexico that is based on shawarma spit grilled meat brought by Lebanese immigrants. It is traditionally cooked on a vertical spit known as a trompo. I don’t have such an exotic grill, so I had to improvise. I had found this indoor grill plate at a local thrift store for $2.17

and used it to create a vertical spit.

I now peeled and sliced up the pineapple

And started my vertical trompo stack adding a slice of pineapple and red onion after every 6 or 7 layers of meat.

I place the stack in the center of my weber redhead with coals all around it.

I then setup my craving station.

Here it is after approximately 30 minutes.

After approximately 75 minutes I removed the trompo and craved off the outer charred layer. (The char is an important part of the taste profile)

I then placed the trompo back in the redhead to char the outside again.

So pretty!

I then repeated the process another 3 times.

After I had trimmed off the outside 3 times I set up my taco cart errrr bar

and started to assemble my street taco plate.

Oh Yum!

Here it is served up with a Modelo Especial.

This was a little on the spicy side but oh so delicious!         

Thanks for looking.