Probe placement

Kamado Joe Classic 2, Inkbird IBT-4XS

I'm smoking some pork shoulder at the moment and I don't think my grill grate probe placement is right. I have a smallish piece of pork sat fairly centrally and the probe for measuring grill temperature behind that- not too close to either the meat or the edge. 

This is the first time I have used it, previously being reliant on dome temperature. The issue is the probe seems to be too almost too accurate. With the dome thermometer, I can glance and know it's roughly where it needs to be, but the probe is picking up every fluctuation with the natural convection of the fire and I reckon is reading higher than it should as a result.

Where is the best place to put it? Nearer the meat? More centrally over the deflectors so it doesn't catch as much of the convection? I think I will check the calibration of everything after this cook as well. 

Thanks for your help!

I try to keep my probe in the indirect heat by placing it over the heat deflector.  If you place it over the direct heat source it will read higher.  It can get tricky to find a spot that's indirect heat and not touch meat, but so far it's worked out for me.

11 hours ago, moloch16 said:

I try to keep my probe in the indirect heat by placing it over the heat deflector.  If you place it over the direct heat source it will read higher.  It can get tricky to find a spot that's indirect heat and not touch meat, but so far it's worked out for me.

Thank you. Having looked again since taking the food off, I can see that I basically left a gap in the deflectors because of really big pieces of charcoal making them sit out of line. The probe was initially placed near a gap

On 6/18/2019 at 3:16 AM, Ben711200 said:

Kamado Joe Classic 2, Inkbird IBT-4XS

I'm smoking some pork shoulder at the moment and I don't think my grill grate probe placement is right. 

This is the first time I have used it, previously being reliant on dome temperature. 

Clipped to the Dome Thermometer Stem .

On 6/19/2019 at 9:13 AM, WoodyT said:

Clipped to the Dome Thermometer Stem .

I want to do this on my KJ Classic II - do you have a particular clip? I haven't figured out how to rig up my Smoke probe to reliably survive opening and closing the lid yet.

I replaced the original temp gauge, wrapped the stem of the Teltru in heat tape to make it fit the larger hole in the dome and ran the digital probe through the same hole next to the Teltru.

Then I ran a grid level probe wire through the same hole.

DSC01804.JPG.fe78c86d9708b8db0bb5d4f85eb5a05a.JPGDSC01802.JPG.99e4034d3da95e7aa2a8830d2d280c98.JPG