Broken Thermometer

KamadoChris

After two months of use 1-2x per week, my dome thermometer conked out.  I had cooked pizza the night before, and in the morning I went out to cover the grill and the thermometer was reading 0F.  I brought it in and checked it in boiling water and read 150F.  So I emailed Dansons  and explained the issue, they got back to me early the next week, asked for a shipping address to send me a new one.  I replied and a week later I received a response that the warehouse is 15-20 days backlogged and it will ship out then.  So anyways just to let you know if you are waiting on any parts it is delayed awhile, but other than that they are sending the part no questions asked.  Hasn't been a huge deal I've just been I've just been running a probe through the vent to monitor temps in the meantime.

Just a thought...if you'd like to replace the original dome thermometer with one more accurate and reliable for about $30.00, check out TEL-TRU.  I've replaced the originals on both my Primo XL and Pit Boss and never looked back.  Fast, free shipping through Amazon, too.

1 hour ago, Jack 101 said:

Just a thought...if you'd like to replace the original dome thermometer with one more accurate and reliable for about $30.00, check out TEL-TRU.  I've replaced the originals on both my Primo XL and Pit Boss and never looked back.  Fast, free shipping through Amazon, too.

Thank you for the recommendation on the thermometer. I did think about going aftermarket but hadn’t really looked into replacements.  I will see how this OEM replacement holds up, if it goes out again I will upgrade. 

Is the Tel-Tru able to be user-calibrated?

Had a look at Amazon (Canada) and boy do we get ripped up here.  Almost $60 and I only found one that goes to 700*  This one isn't calibrate-able either.  There are other they want over 100$ but only up to 500*.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tel-Tru-BQ100-Barbecue-Thermometer-degrees/dp/B00557760K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=837H24WBS0CWJYTVJ6Z6

You really don’t need a reading over 700. The only thinks you might try cooking at temps above that are Neapolitan pizza and naan, and you will be better off with a high temp IR gun for those because stone temp will be more important than dome air temp. 

Well, that and searing where you simply want the hottest possible fire with a grate down low, and you don’t care about dome temp for that either. 

Extreme temperatures (both hot from cooking or cold in the winter) tend to get regular thermometers off calibration which is what I expect happened to your original thermometer. Eventually your replacement will do the same thing if it can't be calibrated. 

I totally agree with @Jack 101 Tel-tru are the very best. I have two Tel-tru's. They go to 750* and can be calibrated. When it goes out of whack recalibrate with boiling water and move on.

DSC01804.JPG.fe78c86d9708b8db0bb5d4f85eb5a05a.JPGDSC01802.JPG.99e4034d3da95e7aa2a8830d2d280c98.JPG

I ditched mine and went with this...stem diameter is way smaller than OEM but that allows me to run a second (digital) probe plus snake the wire for a third grate level probe through the same hole.

Some sticky backed heat tape fills the hole...