itskrod00

What’s Your Favorite Fuel Source and Why

I'm using Kingsford Hardwood briquettes for small, dual zone/indirect cooks and Fogo Super Premium lump for long, low & slow cooks. 

If I had to choose a fave it would be Fogo, hands down.

Royal Oak Lump (USA) because the Supermercado a couple hundred yards from my house sells the 17.6 lb bags.

I've read that Cowboy revamped their lump, but if it's anything like the old stuff stay away. 

Whole Foods used to sell a really good lump for hot grilling, but burned too fast for low and slow cooks. My laziness and wallet keeps me away from WF unless there's a sale on meat, so RO stays my default lump for all my needs.

If you want to geek out on lump reviews check out the Naked Whiz charcoal database.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankdata.htm?compare

Never tried any of the premium stuff. Maybe one day... 

I’ve tried about 7 or 8 different kinds of lump charcoal and have to say Jealous Devil is my current favorite. Consistent medium size chunks perfect for all my cooks. 

Just FYI BBQguys dot com has 35 lb bags of Jealous Devil for $49.99 with free shipping. 

Once I get through my current rounds of lump comparisons I might have to get me a bag and see how it does. Says it's South American hardwoods so it probably fairly dense lump. 

KJ Big Block is my favorite. Usually get it from Lowe's. I didn't know until recently you could just buy coupons for $10 off 50, $20 off 100, or 10% of everything, will make the bags a little cheaper next time :-)

I have some FOGO Black I bought on sale some time ago, its good too but sparky. Moving the lump around after starting is like a fireworks show!

20 minutes ago, EnlightenedVegan said:

Just got a note from them that they have Marabu back in. Just ordered a 33 lb bag for $45. 

Thanks for the heads up. Will start ordering more - 1 bag a week. 

18 minutes ago, JeffieBoy said:

I am on my second bag of Fogo Premium and am thrilled with the results.  Expensive but worth it.

When you factor in the extra burn time you get compared to cheaper lumps it's really not as expensive as it seems. 

Just finished a bag of Mali's Gourmet Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal! In my Kamado Joe Jr I was getting low and slow runs of 12 hrs with the KAB! 20lbs for 19.99! Next up is a bag of B&B Oak lump.

Scott

On 6/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, ckreef said:

When you factor in the extra burn time you get compared to cheaper lumps it's really not as expensive as it seems. 

Agreed.  When I told my friends how much burn time I get they freaked.