Chasdev

How to cut a hole/opening in a kamado?

I've been thinking on how to introduce wood chunks into/onto burning charcoal without having to open the lid and re arrange the grates and/or deflector..

If I knew it could be done without ruining it, I'd cut openings into the body of my Pitboss 24 in a heartbeat, then get to work on a sealed door.

Can you open your slider and use some kind of iron to put it end? Of course you may get ashes on your food that way.  Also remember, smoke is only absorbed so much. You don't need smoke the whole time, just usually the first few hours when the meat is cooler. 

What I want is a firebox door like on a WSM so I can tinker with the fire to my hearts content.

Adding lump, adding wood, poking it with a stick if I want.

Or put another way I want to combine aspects of a Kamado with those of an offset stick burner.

On second or third thought, maybe I want a Kamado with an offset firebox attached.

Kamado design is really for hands off cooking not for playing with fire. Sounds like you really need another/different kind of grill. 

I totally understand the desire to play with fire. That's what makes my Wood Fired Oven and Konro grill so much fun. What I'm currently lusting for is the Nuke Delta Argentinian style grill. Check out the video. Play with live fire to your hearts content.  I'm guessing I'll have this before the summer is over. 

0006654_the-delta.jpeg.fb90d48f075e05255fc2d0afd3335233.jpeg

I have a friend who's from Brazil and that's exactly how he cooks, but I still want a cooker that traps most of the heat but still has the open firebox or at least access to the fire, without having to buy a high end offset.

i already have a Kamado and if I can McGiver a modification without busting it into shards I would be sorely tempted to try it.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, Chasdev said:

I have a friend who's from Brazil and that's exactly how he cooks, but I still want a cooker that traps most of the heat but still has the open firebox or at least access to the fire, without having to buy a high end offset.

i already have a Kamado and if I can McGiver a modification without busting it into shards I would be sorely tempted to try it.

Been trying to do this myself.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, Chasdev said:

So, you want a cooker that traps heat even with a hole cut into the side of it?

Forgetting the fact that there is zero reason to access the fire mid cook (assuming you've set your fire box up correctly), cutting a hole in the side of your kamado would greatly reduce its heat retention and temperature stablility even if a door is added 

It would also reduce the structual integrity of the base itself and likely lead to it cracking a couple of cooks in (assuming it held together while you cut a hole in the side of it

As mentioned, Saffire make a Kamado with a feeder tube for wood chips, but i imagine that opening would be too small for what you think you want to do

If you want to play with fire, buy another cooker 

You're trying to turn an Apple into an Orange with this train of thought at it wont end well...

The idea mate would be, once having created an opening in the ceramic,  to add an offset stick burner type fire box therefore creating the best of both worlds, stick burner hard wood flavored meat AND heat retention in the cook chamber via the Kamado's nature.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chasdev said:

The idea mate would be, once having created an opening in the ceramic,  to add an offset stick burner type fire box therefore creating the best of both worlds, stick burner hard wood flavored meat AND heat retention in the cook chamber via the Kamado's nature.

...thats not really how it works

In stick burners the fire box is often insulated but the cook chamber isnt, and there is a reason for that

You need decent air flow in order for the smoke from the fire box to be drawn through the cook chamber

Not to mention, the ammount of wood you would need to burn in order to heat soak your ceramics in the first place would be substancial and likely result in a fire that was way too big and way too hot with little to no way to bring the temp back down again, because its not like you can just adjust your vents to lower your temp at this point 

The closest thing to what you're talking about is the up coming Pellet Joe (Kamado Pellet Cooker) from KJ but even that isnt a real Kamado as the base is made from double walled Allumnium, partially due to the fact that trying to heat soak that much ceramic using pellets would be VERY fuel heavy as hard wood is not the most effecient source of thermal energy when compared to other solid state fuels 

Just buy a stick burner 

Edited by Polar Bear

Well, lets see..lots of stick burners are insulated, most of the high dollar versions it seems, so that's not much of a stumbling block it would seem.

As to how long it would take to heat to 275, probably not that long.

As to temp run-away, well just start small and don't go crazy with the amount of fuel added, you know JUST like a stick burner.

I'm not trying to heat soak the ceramic, rather the air in the kamado.

As the ceramic heats up, the amount of fuel added goes down, just enough to make that sweet sweet smoke.

I used to burn mini-splits in my offset once the coal base was built up, that way the slowly burning 8 inch x 2 inch splits placed away from the coals, added crucial smoke without adding much to the coal base.

I've got a very nice pellet cooker and the meat from it lacks smoke flavor even with a smoke adder device.

My kamado also fails to produce smoke flavored meat.

Good news is that this thread SO OLD that I already bought a Masterbuilt gravity smoker and IT can induce smoke flavor just fine thanks.

So, the kamado is safe for now, at least from me.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, Chasdev said:

What I want is a firebox door like on a WSM so I can tinker with the fire to my hearts content.

Adding lump, adding wood, poking it with a stick if I want.

Or put another way I want to combine aspects of a Kamado with those of an offset stick burner.

On second or third thought, maybe I want a Kamado with an offset firebox attached.

Your best alternative is, obviously, to simply buy a WSM or stick burner

Kamados are not designed to do what you want to do, WSM's and stick burners are.

Tom