Chasdev

How to cut a hole/opening in a kamado?

On 5/8/2020 at 10:09 AM, Chasdev said:

Well, lets see..lots of stick burners are insulated, most of the high dollar versions it seems, so that's not much of a stumbling block it would seem.

As to how long it would take to heat to 275, probably not that long.

As to temp run-away, well just start small and don't go crazy with the amount of fuel added, you know JUST like a stick burner.

I'm not trying to heat soak the ceramic, rather the air in the kamado.

As the ceramic heats up, the amount of fuel added goes down, just enough to make that sweet sweet smoke.

I used to burn mini-splits in my offset once the coal base was built up, that way the slowly burning 8 inch x 2 inch splits placed away from the coals, added crucial smoke without adding much to the coal base.

I've got a very nice pellet cooker and the meat from it lacks smoke flavor even with a smoke adder device.

My kamado also fails to produce smoke flavored meat.

Good news is that this thread SO OLD that I already bought a Masterbuilt gravity smoker and IT can induce smoke flavor just fine thanks.

So, the kamado is safe for now, at least from me.

Tom, please read the last two sentences from my last post..

Ironically,  I too just purchased a Masterbuilt Gravity and want to turn my Akorn into a dedicated "wood fired pizza oven". My idea was exactly this. Drill a decent sized hole, about 4 inches in diameter, put a metal tube in with a door/cover to feed in wood as needed to keep temps up and use the BBQube ring for the top. I don't really have much to lose by trying, IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Sandburger said:

Ironically,  I too just purchased a Masterbuilt Gravity and want to turn my Akorn into a dedicated "wood fired pizza oven". My idea was exactly this. Drill a decent sized hole, about 4 inches in diameter, put a metal tube in with a door/cover to feed in wood as needed to keep temps up and use the BBQube ring for the top. I don't really have much to lose by trying, IMO. 

the Akorn is just steel, so some form of hole saw might do