Sign in to follow this  
Sacramento River Kamado Ma

45 years of Kamado Cooking

I recently posted a question about a replacement part and want to take a minute to introduce myself to this fine community of like-minded chefs.

I have been cooking on Kamados for 45 years, my first at age 13 was a family friend's large size Imperial that fascinated this young science geek with its simple insulation and drafting properties,  stark contrasts with the ubiquitous Webber grills.  In college my roommate and I bought a small Imperial for our apartment deck, though since I graduated first the Kamado stayed.  In my late 20's,  the family friend gave me a large Imperial as a wedding gift which lasted 14 years until "the dog" knocked it over three weeks after I moved out of the house when the marriage failed.  A year later, 2002, I bought a new house in Sacramento and picked up a K7 from Richard Johnson which has not experience any of the quality issues others have encountered.  It has never had a cover and I am lax about cleaning it, letting the box fill up with ash and the dome stream inside and out with creosote.  Cooked hard, not put away at all...

I use the Kamado to grill healthy meat and fish over mesquite lump 3 or 4 times a week -- easily 2500 times.  I have cranked it up to more than 800 degrees, sometimes making pizza at 700 degrees.  I also go low and slow for briskets and pork shoulders, which are widely appreciated at neighborhood gatherings.  Lately I have been cooking thick steaks (2"+) sous vide to 125 degrees and searing them on the Kamado at 700 degrees, finishing the uniform, tender sous vide doneness with a tasty maillard char.

Enough about me, here is the picture of the Kamado on the kitchen deck designed for it, with a roof overhang and grill light. Though outside, the Kamado is closer to our refrigerator than the range in the kitchen.  It is not just a cooking tool, it is part of our family home.

Thanks for listening.

Dan

20190618_171302.thumb.jpg.98a499bc1d1aaa197aac1a875b4d2100.jpg

Welcome! Fantastic that you have been served so we'll by your kamado for so long! 

There is an almost limitless library of recipes to try here, keep you busy for another 2500 cooks.

Way Kule Kamado! I am curious about the hose. That is a hell of a grill! Interior pics would be appreciated. Great story, too. Just pissed I only discovered kamado two years ago over the BGE hubbub. I wound up with an Akron which I adore. These things are fantastic! Welcome to the blog! Please impart your vast experience to us all! :-D

Wow, truly an inspirational story to share with my “friends” who think that my now 7 year old Akorn is a passing fad...  thanks for sharing.