ArthurDent

Rib Eyes with Béarnaise Sauce

Wife and I are going on the keto diet, so are looking for ways to increase the fat content of our meals. The French mother sauces and their finishing sauces, with some modifications, work well to get fats and proteins in proper balance. Pretty tasty to boot.

1D922D69-7D4F-4E09-8A4D-099BFAE1EF73.jpeg

Thanks, Jack. It really is one of the great combinations, so very tasty! I’ve found three new (at least new to me) methods of making Hollandaise/Bearnaise and I’m going to try all of them over the next few weeks. Tonight was the one pot method, in which all the ingredients are thrown in the pot using cold butter and one applies heat and starts whisking until the sauce comes together. It made a nice sauce, but it was a lot of work. Next up is a microwave method which claims the sauce can be made in 90 seconds. I’ve seen videos and it seems to work, but I remain a skeptic  until I demonstrate it myself and it passes my taste test. My oldest daughter who once was a sous chef at a large restaurant also doesn’t think it will produce a quality sauce. One way to find out and that’s to give it a try.

Inarngr- My Oldest daughter is coming over for dinner on Sunday, so I’ll probably make some more then and post on it. I’ve now identified 5 ways to make it other than the traditional method and I intend to try them all.

So, last night made Béarnaise using the blender method. I made the mistake of adding the shallots and tarragon at the beginning, which resulted in them being completely chopped to bits and being invisible in the final sauce. Also, the sauce was not over 140 F, so I had pour it into a sauce boat and heat it in the microwave. Thirty seconds did the trick, but then it was too thick, so I had to thin it out with some hot water.  After all that, it came out fine. The blender method made a very nice sauce and was a lot less work than the one pot method. Here’s the money shot:

698F3DD2-D953-4E4D-985F-749684703154.jpeg

The stuffed baked potato is most definitely not on the keto diet, but it was left over from daughter’s birthday party, as was the ribeye, and did not want them to go to waste.  The ribeye had the coffee rub I’ve posted on previously, and which I’d recommend highly. It was great even on a reheated steak. As to the Bearnaise sauce, the blender method makes it a snap to put together, so there’s really no excuse not to make it, and it adds quite a lot to the culinary experience.

On 7/2/2019 at 6:35 PM, lnarngr said:

AD, when will you reveal the recipes? After trying them all? The blender method sounds promising! 

I’ll post a recipe soon. Today, my new stick blender is arriving and I’m going to make Hollandaise using the stick blender method, which looks to be a snap too.  The idea of these sauces (Bernaise and Hollandaise) is that acid added to egg yolks in the form of either lemon juice or vinegar allows the eggs to be heated to a safe temperature without any solidification. The lecithin in the egg yolks is an emulsifier and causes the butter and lemon juice to combine smoothly and to not separate. It’s a genius combination and a good way to kick up the fat content in a keto diet. If you get impatient and want to make it before I post the recipe, just do an internet search for blender hollandaise and plenty of recipes will pop up.  Bernaise is basically Hollandaise substituting vinegar for lemon juice and adding shallots and taragon.

Bearnaise is pretty simple. You’ll need 1 tbsp chopped fresh taragon and 1 tbsp chopped shallots. Put them in a small saute pan along with 2 tbsp vinegar. Reduce the vinegar to 1 tbsp over medium heat and separate the reduced vinegar from the shallots and taragon using a sieve and a spoon to press the vinegar out of the shallot and tarragon mixture. Reserve both.  Separate 2 xl eggs reserving the yolks. Melt 2 sticks butter to 220 degrees. Add egg yolks to a tall container, add reserved vinegar and 1 tbsp water. Using a stick blender blend until color hanges to a pale yellow, drizzle in butter while continuing to blend. Blend for 45-60 additional seconds. Stir in reserved shallots and tarragon. Make sure temp is at least 140 F. If not; microwave in 10 second intervals until 140 F is reached, stirring after each 10 second microwave session . If sauce gets too thick, stir in a small amount of water to thin it out (shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds total microwave time). Serve with grilled steak or pork chops.