I just got my new Kamado Joe setup and soon to do my first cook.  Thought I'd start out with a "beer can chicken."   In looking at different recipes I ran across this video.  This guy reall raided on my parade so to speak. Now I'm not sure if I want to ever try it.  What do you seasoned Kamado Joe users think.

Yeah, like others have said, spatchcocked is how I cook all of mine these days.  Cuts down on cooking time a bit, cooks it more evenly in my opinion and if you are adding any smoke, it allows it to get to more of the meat.  When adding smoke to chicken though, I do it very sparingly and use a fruit wood.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Meatheads reasoning and don't doubt that it doesn't really add any flavor, but I do like the beer can method for multiple chicken cooks, takes up less horizontal space on the grill. I always do legs down, closer to the heat so the thighs and the breasts should be done cooking at around the same time. That being said if you're just doing one, it's hard to be spatchcocking the bird. 

4 hours ago, Thunder77 said:

I will use a vertical rack for chicken, but I don't waste the beer anymore. I have done comparisons, and I don't think the beer can does anything for the chicken.  Spatchcocked, or halves. You can always marinate the chicken in beer. Personally, I'd rather drink the beer. :-D

Think I’ll grab one right now.