New owner + First cook ideas?

Hey all!

New owner of a Kamado Joe. Been looking for a while but finally pulled the trigger with Atlanta Grilling Company's Father's Day sale. She arrived yesterday and still sitting in the garage as I need a couple buddies to come over to help move it out on the patio.

I love to grill but fairly new to the kamado scene. Any suggestions for a first cook?

Excited to be a part of this forum. Hoping to learn a lot!

Welcome, glad to have both you and your new Joe with us. I cooked a spatchcock chicken for my first cook.. it came out perfect; crispy skin, moist tender meat, just wonderful. When my lovely wife took the first bite, she held out her fork and looking quizzically at me, said "yeah right, you cooked this all by your self". Just something special about Kamado chicken better than any I had ever cooked before. A couple of tips. 1. Use a full load of lump up to about 1/2 to 2" below your deflector, 2. When you light your fire it will put out a thick white smoke until it establishes it self, do not put food on while your grill is putting out white smoke. After your fire establishes itself the smoke color will change to a thin blue grey almost invisible smoke. This is when you put food on the grill. Food cooked over white smoke tastes acrid and nasty with a strong sharp too smokey bite.( I advise to not be in a hurry, when I want to put food on at 4:00 pm for dinner at 5:00pm, I light my fire at 3:00pm and let my fire develop slowly).  3. Any where between 375 and 425 or so is the perfect temp for chicken. Normal size chicken takes about an hour but cook it to internal temp using an instant read or remote probe thermometer. I pull mine at 165 in the breast. Have fun and enjoy your first cook. Here is a pic of my last chicken cook. I cook mine indirect over a deflector. For this particular cook I added a pan of veggies, herbs, and chicken broth. 

IMG_0435.thumb.jpeg.fc70fb88173516b03373cedf4805d2cd.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

GrillDawg:

Welcome! Good Luck! Spatchcock chicken or ribs are inexpensive and forgiving, as well as easy and tasty! 

I think my first cooks were steaks. My buddy with the same grill had primed me to keep the vents barely open, so I struggled to get higher temps. Still overcooked occasionally but not too bad. 

Break, Break

keeperovdeflame:

Nice Pan, Man! What are it's particulars? 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

IMG_0435.thumb.jpeg.fc70fb88173516b03373cedf4805d2cd.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sdimartino
      Hey, everyone, new guy here (to both the forum and kamado cooking). My question is about starting up the charcoal. Right now I'm using a chimney starter with newspaper, but I hate the bloom of acrid smoke I get from the paper, so I picked up some paraffin starting cubes. Unfortunately I can't seem to use the cubes with the chimney because they fall through the grate (I have to set the chimney on the grate because I don't really have anywhere else to set it, no concrete on my patio). Can I just start the coals by stacking them in a pile on the grate and sticking a cube in the middle of the pile?

Or, let me approach this a different way... How do you start your coals up?
    • By Cranky1
      Hi all,
      Just got an Akorn 16820 and mother nature decided to go all cool and wet on me. Looking forward to trying this thing out.
    • By icegrill
      I have been a long time member here, I started my Kamado 4 years ago on a BJ special Brinkman, now out of business. Well my firebox cracked as did my place setter, but that thing taught me a lot about cooking on a Kamado and ensuring how to seal it up and overcome that models challenges. 

Well today I join the Egghead club in a big way with the BGE XL. I am super stoked to get grilling on my new baby. 

• By jhford12344
      Just purchased a new Kamado Joe Classic II from Atlanta Grill Company. I am coming into this with essentially no experiencing smoking and using charcoal... so any and all advice is appreciated. 

I have been looking at Kamado Joe covers and the ones from KJ are pretty pricey. Any recommendations for a cover that won't break the bank would be great. 

Thank you

• By Colin
      My buddy cuts grass and a client of his had this in their garage for years. I think I made a very solid purchase for $300(hope so?)
      I’ve read a bit on here, and I’m assuming this is a late 90’s model(Richard Johnson-right?)

There’s no loose tiles, the part on top spins freely, and only one little chip on one tile right by the back hinge.
      the shocks/springs squeal a bit, but I haven’t started messing with it. 

it’s about 50” tall
      no place for gas starter in back(I’ve seen a square on a similar one)

the tile is in greaaaat shape. That seems to be the biggest issues Ive read about

Thanks for all ya’ll do. This page has been a great resource before I bought it.