• Similar Content

• By Chap Swinson
      Brand new Smoke & Smoke Gateway in SC.  $100 for both.  The Smoke is red in color.  PM if interested.  Thanks!

• By VG Jer
      I tried my Thermoworks Billows on my B series today.  I did some back ribs.  Weather here today was terrible - very rainy.

The cook turned out really well - Billows was easy to use with the mounting plates.  I had to drill two holes into my bottom vent grate to allow for the spring to clamp correctly.  I also had to cut the mounting plate slightly to fit the groove of the bottom vent.  Top vent was open very little as instructed and didn't touch for the whole cook.

It did keep the temp very steady - although still saw spikes when opening and closing the lid.  Which I only did 3 times - ribs on, wrap and back on to sauce.  Thermoworks said it's supposed to account for lid opening in its most recent firmware release, but can still see a bit of over compensation by Signals/Billows.  

I have had Signals since early last year, not sure I would invest in the Signals just to get Billows. That said, Signals is awesome on its own.  I can generally regulate nearly as well through usually methods. I believe the value will be in the over night cooks and reduced stress about not having to worry about drops or spikes.

225 degrees, Jealous Devil Charcoal, Sugar Maple for the smoke. 3-2-.5 timing on the ribs.

• By American Moriyama
      Hello Guru's

I have just joined this board and hope there is someone that can help me. I am using a Vision Classic B from Sam's and I love it; it has exceeded my expectations for food quality. I am, however, having some trouble keeping the temperature stable during long overnight cooks. The temperature rising is not such a problem as it rises temporarily and then drifts back down. It also does not go that high as I have the intake well limited. The trouble is when the temp falls and does not recover. I can set it for 250 and it holds for a few hours, then it begins to drop. I typically adjust the intake and chimney, open the lid for a few minutes, then the temp rises and appears stable for an hour or so then begins to drop again. I have researched several things and tried to correct some of my mistakes.

1. Ash build up - I clean before every cook now.
      2. Intake and chimney settings - I set the intake for a low temp cook and then open just a little but more to ensure enough air flow for combustion. I then control the temp with the chimney vent, it is pretty much closed at that point.
      3. Charcoal grate - I removed the charcoal grate and replaced it with a Kick Ash Basket to ensure there was nothing to impede the air flow.
      4. Crept up to temperature - Wanted to make sure too many coals were not lit, and they start smoldering.
      5. Overshot temperature - Overshot the temperature by 50 deg and let it settle down to the correct temperature.
      6. Checked for leaks - It appears that there are no leaks. The gasket seems tight and no smoke is escaping from it.

I have not out ruled that this grill may not be capable of stable temperature for that long. I would appreciate any insight anyone would have. I have begun to cook my butts and brisket hot and fast to make sure they are done before bedtime. The results are good, but I would prefer the overnight cooks. Thanks for your help.

• By Smoque'n
      Good Evening Guru’s,

I just received my Kick Ash Baskets for my Primo XL just a quick question do I need to a burn in or before my next cook give it a little extra time to heat up to get rid of any manufacturing by product? Suggestions appreciated.
    • By Smoque'n
      Hey Guru’s,
      Last week I got a Primo XL. I did a beautiful Tritip cook on it. Well yesterday I received my Thermoworks Smoke, and tonight I want to reverse sear a good thick steak. Haven’t gotten to the store to see exactly what yet. Anyways I am just a bit confused. The primo being oval with the fire Box divided and a diffuser plate installed on the indirect side. Will I need to pull the steak off after reaching 115-120* and ramp on the temp? Or will the benefit of true 2 zone cooking mean I will be able to move to the direct side with the grill grates in the low position and just “get r done”. Also if I do not have to ramp up the temp for the sear what should I be aiming for dome temp? Thanks for your help.