daninpd

Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Chorizo, Pine Nuts and Goat Cheese

Lunch with my Farrier and his wife lined up with this month's challenge, so I pulled out a old favorite recipe and cooked it on the Joe.  The recipe is Emeril Lagasse's Chicken Pockets Stuffed with Goat Cheese, Chorizo and Pine Nuts on a Bed of Southern Black Eye Peas  https://www.emerils.com/123669/chicken-pockets-stuffed-goat-cheese-chorizo-and-pine-nuts-bed-southern-style-black-eye-peas

This is a recipe I have made often, usually at New Years (for the black-eye peas/good luck superstition),  but it is perfect for something stuffed and is delicious.  You can make the chorizo and goat cheese stuffing a day ahead, leaving half of the pine nuts out so they don't all lose their crunch and add the rest just before folding the chicken breast over the stuffing.  I'm including a picture of the lunch appetizer, Crawfish Egg Rolls (not cooked on the Joe, but also a Emeril recipe and really good...and stuffed).  I set up the Joe with deflector plates in the lower position and my pizza stone on the X-thing (whatever you call it) in the upper position.  Gave everything a half-hour to get up to temp at 400 and then put the chicken pockets on with parchment paper.  They cooked nicely in the recipe's called for 18 minutes.  Well worth the effort.

DMP_1931.JPG

DMP_1933.JPG

DMP_1934.JPG

DMP_1936.JPG

DMP_1937.JPG

DMP_1939.JPG

DMP_1940.JPG

DMP_1942.JPG

Edited by daninpd
clarity

O My Goodness!!! Thin Sliced Tyson's Chicken Breast??? @daninpd doesn't slice his own chicken breast??? :rofl:

Just joking, of course. Everything you do looks so fantastic, I thought I'd try and find something to bust your chops on. I'm a big sausage person but, I've never heard of Pork Longaniza (if I'm reading it correctly). What's the 411 on that?

8 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I'm a big sausage person but, I've never heard of Pork Longaniza (if I'm reading it correctly). What's the 411 on that?

Longaniza is a Spanish sausage very similar to Portuguese Linguica.  Around here all of the Chorizo tends to be really fatty and the Longaniza a little leaner, so I often use it in place of Chorizo.  Both are spiced with paprika, Longaniza usually has some garlic and rosemary.  I have made the Creole/Cajun version of this sausage before, called Chaurice, and it is one of my favorites.

Edited by daninpd
left out a "e" in "one"

Looks awesome Dan..  I see your from Prunedale, drove through many times.  I'm originally from Pacific Grove, and moved to the Bay Area almost 30 yrs ago.  If you're ever around the San Jose area there's a Portuguese sausage place called Goulart's.  Theyr'e on Saint John, it's excellent, been going there for years.  My favorite is the homestyle linguica, which has wine and garlic with chunky meat..

Chris

You got this Country Girl attention.. A Dish with Blackeye peas?? Wow! My favorite peas. Got Good memories of my mama cooking them growing up. When you smell them cooking, you know you going to eat good. Thanks for reminding me. Great cook:bravo: