Brandon Store

Best way to store additional accessories?

I really love my kamado big joe 3 and I know im going to buy alot of accesories, what do you guys/gals do for storage? Right now I tuck the slo roller right under the grill/cart and the heat deflectors on the small shelf on the cart. I know ill eventually get the cast iron grill grates, soap stone, dojoe, grill expander, the laser cut stainless grill, and the question is... where am I gonna put it all? Do you have an awesome storage unit by your grill for the extra stuff or do you just make a place for it in your indoor kitchen? Id love to see pictures of your setups 

Brandon, I was thinking the exact same thing.  I think I'll have some kind of plastic cart I can wheel around, because it will be outside.  The wife already says I have alot of cooking/bbq stuff in the kitchen!!  HAHA.

Chris

I've got a deck box that I have totes for charcoal and room for my extra racks, stones, wood chunks, etc dedicated just for the grill accessories. Keeps everything dry and any critters that might be interested are kept out.

No joke, I store accessories in our lower oven, and may as well start storing them in the upper one too. We have a cheap toaster oven that does 95% of our indoor baking/broiling. Anything big goes on the kamados. I could have saved a lot of money on our high end double oven. Ironically, replacing it with a built in microwave/oven is in Kamodo Kamado cost country. So it stays... If I am spending that much, it is for a Big Bad outside. 

I also have a huge deck box full of accessories, and some in the basement, and "a lot" of charcoal in outbuildings. My oldest kiddo sometimes refers to "the charcoal shed" and"the mower shed". This really does become a problem, be careful...

I don't have any grates other than the ones that came with my original purchase, but all the accessories I do have (boxes of firestarter cubes, "beercan" chicken stands, JoeTisserie motor & spit, grill brushes, etc., etc.) are in a kitchen size plastic garbage bin that stays in an enclosed cabinet on my mud porch. In that same cabinet have a second bin just like it that holds one bag of charcoal. I'd prefer a deck box, but a) I haven't found one I like yet and b) I'm a procrastinator, especially when I already have a working solution to the problem I'm addressing.

My future kamado table will have vertical storage cabinets with slot storage for excess grills that will accept a hot soapstone. The thought of it cooking while the grill cools is off-putting to me.

I use an IKEA outdoor cart as a side cart. It has a stainless steel top so you can put hot stuff on it, a stainless steel bottom shelf, and an accessory rail that runs all the way around just under the top shelf. I hang three carabiners on the back rail where I can hang my accessory rack, both grilling grates, and even the Divide and Conquer ring rack as needed. On the front rail, I have two carabiners for a golf towel and anything else I might want to hang. On the bottom shelf, I have a 5 gal stainless steel can for ashes, and room for a weather tight plastic tub for thermometers, foil, food gloves, pit cloves, starter cubes etc. I have a separate, small plastic tub with a lid and a hole drilled through the side for using my Smoke/probes/timers on rainy days.  

I use a 20 gal rubbermaid garage can for lump storage outside and keep an extra bag of lump in the garage. I recently acquired the DoJoe and a soapstone surface. The soapstone surface is heavy and looks like it could chip easily. I nailed a small piece of 2x4 up in my garage, rest the straight edge of the soapstone on that, then run a bungie across the soapstone to ensure it stays put. The DoJoe hangs in the garage and its pizza stone lives in the kitchen. 

IMG_0575-2.jpg

IMG_0576-2.jpg

IMG_0577-2.jpg

IMG_0571-2.jpg

IMG_0572-2.jpg

I picked up a Keter premier 150 gallon deck box from Costco for $100.00.  I keep everything in that.   We have a limited amount of room on our deck, so it sits around the corner, but easily accessible.  Works great for me.  Wish I had the space for a table, but man are the nice ones pricey!