Masterbuilt Kamado MCG300S - is this a game changer?

Advice please.

Does anyone know about this new Kamado? It's built by Masterbuilt who I understand owns Kamado Jo. It's called the MCG300S and it's just started being sold here in the UK.

https://www.bbqland.co.uk/masterbuilt-22-classic-kamado-ceramic-bbq-grill.html

All opinions and thoughts welcome as it looks like a game changer but I need some expert validation :)

Ta,

Mark

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought this model 3 months ago. It is the black Kamado Joe Classic upgraded with the new firebox (KJ logo printed on the back) and the HDPE side shelves and handle. Ash tool and grate gripper is als

Ever mind. Went with the masterbuilt on the back of this thread. Thanks! 

According to the shop where I bought mine they don’t do ash drawers separately.  No d&c rack to be had anywhere in the UK at the moment but expecting them back in. 

Hi

The price is very competitive and it looks like a great Kamado. In the ad it lists the kamado's that are the same size as it..... if I was in the market for a new kamado I would compare the price against them and also what bundles etc you can get.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:50 PM, BeefyB said:

Advice please.

Does anyone know about this new Kamado? It's built by Masterbuilt who I understand owns Kamado Jo.

Did some googling.  Dominus Capital, L.P acquired a majority stake in KamadoJoe in Nov. 2018.

They also have a majority stake in Masterbuilt.  But the two run as independent divisions.

The grill you linked to doesn't look like a KJ.  The top vent is different, the hinge looks different too.  The gasket is felt.

12 hours ago, tmc said:

Did some googling.  Dominus Capital, L.P acquired a majority stake in KamadoJoe in Nov. 2018.

They also have a majority stake in Masterbuilt.  But the two run as independent divisions.

The grill you linked to doesn't look like a KJ.  The top vent is different, the hinge looks different too.  The gasket is felt.

I think that's a KJ Classic, Ver 1.0. Different cart though... 

In the last year, here is my understanding of rumors in the kamando world.  Masterbuild (a company that makes mass marketed smokers did something (invested, bought, merged, unclear) with KJ. Bobby Brennan is now the CEO of it all.  

I hope i have my facts right. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, yes I can confirm that this is a stonker of a product.  It takes all the accessories available to the Kamado Joe Classic series including the doJoe and joetisserie.  Comes with a heat deflector in the box, build quality is superb and is probably the best value and quality kamado out in the UK market.  This is coming from us who sell our own brand of kamado as well as this one and for price and pound for pound quality I would say it was pretty much unbeatable.  Mark.

• 4 months later...

I bought this model 3 months ago. It is the black Kamado Joe Classic upgraded with the new firebox (KJ logo printed on the back) and the HDPE side shelves and handle. Ash tool and grate gripper is also the same as I got with my other Kamado Joe. The cart is different though. The manual use the same layout as the KJ one, content is the same page by page more or less.

Warranty from the Masterbuilt manual:

Ceramic parts, lifetime

Metal parts, 5 years

Heat deflector, 3 years

Thermometer and gasket, 1 year

All KJ parts I have fit this grill including the D&C flexible cooking system, iKamand, Kontrol Tower etc.

Paid 520 USD for this. A KJ Classic II was priced at 1200 USD at the time. Hard to find a better Kamado in this price range since it is essentially a rebranded KJ Classic. Most likely a move to fend off competition in the lower price segment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SXMO,

Where did you find this in the US?

On 2/6/2020 at 3:59 PM, sxmo said:

I bought this model 3 months ago. It is the black Kamado Joe Classic upgraded with the new firebox (KJ logo printed on the back) and the HDPE side shelves and handle. Ash tool and grate gripper is also the same as I got with my other Kamado Joe. The cart is different though. The manual use the same layout as the KJ one, content is the same page by page more or less.

Warranty from the Masterbuilt manual:

Ceramic parts, lifetime

Metal parts, 5 years

Heat deflector, 3 years

Thermometer and gasket, 1 year

All KJ parts I have fit this grill including the D&C flexible cooking system, iKamand, Kontrol Tower etc.

Paid 520 USD for this. A KJ Classic II was priced at 1200 USD at the time. Hard to find a better Kamado in this price range since it is essentially a rebranded KJ Classic. Most likely a move to fend off competition in the lower price segment.