Slo Roller on the Kamado Joe 3

Hello everyone!  I'm new to this forum but have been a budding pitmaster in my backyard the last 5 years! :)  I have a question for anyone that has some experience with the new Slo Roller on the Kamado Joe 3.  I have a Big Joe KJ 2.  Looks like at some point in the future there will be an accessory Slo Roller that will be retrofitted to the KJ 2.  What are people's feelings on the Slo Roller?  Is it a game changer or just a flashly little upgrade that doesn't make much difference on a cook?

Thoughts??...  :)

Here are a few videos I have made with the Kamado Joe 3 using the SLoROLLER.  As i said in the response to your private message, I'm not sure if you can call this a game changer or not.  That sort of classification is gonna be up to the owner.  I am seeing consistently better results in how evenly the food is cooking, shorter cooking times (but not by that much overall) and more pronounced smoke rings.  If those things are deemed as game changers, then so be it.  Most won't consider it to be a game changer.  I am impressed with it.  I am also provided with the grills directly by Kamado Joe.  If I was buying the grill, I would by the 3.  I would also most likely buy the add on for the 2 when it becomes available based on what I have seen so far.  I don't have any idea when the add on will be available or what the price will be....

@Smokemifyougottem

5 minutes ago, mbellot said:

So if I'm reading the BBQGuys descriptions correctly, the SloRoller with work with any Classic but only the Big Joe II or III (not an original) - is that right?

Too bad, this looks like an accessory I might have seriously considered.

5 minutes ago, mbellot said:

So if I'm reading the BBQGuys descriptions correctly, the SloRoller with work with any Classic but only the Big Joe II or III (not an original) - is that right?

Too bad, this looks like an accessory I might have seriously considered.

I called BBQ Guys site because states "unavailable".  They said that they no longer will be stocking this item.  Not sure what that's about.  John Setzler tells me that there are plans to roll out a slo roller that can "retro fit" to KJ Big Joe 2.  Not sure about 1st generation KJ.  He's not sure when Kamado Joe will put the slo roller add on accessory out or how much it will cost.

3 minutes ago, Smokemifyougottem said:

I called BBQ Guys site because states "unavailable".  They said that they no longer will be stocking this item.  Not sure what that's about.  John Setzler tells me that there are plans to roll out a slo roller that can "retro fit" to KJ Big Joe 2.  Not sure about 1st generation KJ.  He's not sure when Kamado Joe will put the slo roller add on accessory out or how much it will cost.

I dunno what's up with BBQGuys but they just don't know what they are talking about.  It's not been made available for the 2 and 1 series yet.  BBQ guys also tells you that they are oging ot give you $400 worth of accessories to go with your Kamado Joe.  They don't tell you that those accessories are already included with the Joe so it seems like a buyer beware situation there if you ask me.  This place used to be OK but I am seeing some things like this recently that concern me about doing business with them.  I recommend Atlanta Grill Company for any online purchase you need to make associated Kamado Joe, accessories, or anything else for that matter.

Thanks for the input John.  Two weeks ago I called them and the person that answered the phone said they had the Slo Roller accessory in stock.  I asked her to discuss with her supervisor if it fits the KJ Big Joe 2 as a retrofit.  She came back on the phone after talking with her supervisor and said "yes it does, and would you like to order it".  They were selling the item for $299 I believe.  I told her I'd have to think about it first and hung up.  A week or so later the item now looks "unavailable".  I called BBQ guys and girl answering phone said they no longer carry the item.  I then called KJ company directly and they stated (as you have clarified on this post) that the retro fit Slo Roller for the 2nd generation KJ Big Joe will likely be available no earlier that January 2020.  No firm dates for release, nor pricing is known.  Bottom line...I agree with J Setzler....BBQ guys doing some funky things....buyer beware.

On 6/27/2019 at 9:51 AM, Smokemifyougottem said:

Two weeks ago I called them and the person that answered the phone said they had the Slo Roller accessory in stock.  I asked her to discuss with her supervisor if it fits the KJ Big Joe 2 as a retrofit.  She came back on the phone after talking with her supervisor and said "yes it does, and would you like to order it".  ...  A week or so later the item now looks "unavailable".

That's somewhat like my experience with BBQ Guys.  I bought my Big Joe and some standard accessories in May of '18.  In December the telephone sales person said they had the new KJ Charcoal Basket on hand.  A few days later they didn't, then they did.  But KJ's official word was that it wasn't yet available.  I lost confidence in them.

Hi John.  I've just ordered a Classic 3 (hopefully being delivered before the weekend) and have been watching your videos using the sloroller.  Just wondering if you are not using a drip pan because it interferes with the cyclonics, the sloroller manages the fat in a way that makes one unnecessary or if you do generally use one but it is not shown in the videos?

I used the Sloroller to cook a Boston Butt on Saturday in a Classic 3.  It was a 5lb Butt and I put it on the top D&C setting, the star rack in the middle and a drip pan on top of that.  Didn't seem to cause any issue, Butt cooked faster than I am used to before this accessory, total of 6 hours (4 hours naked and 2 wrapped in foil).  It was nicely smoked and juicy throughout, not sure if this is coincidence or if the Sloroller really is an improvement (not that the improvement was really needed!).  I also cooked a chicken at 450f using it and a drip pan, again no problem and good result so I think I have answered my own post: no problem using one and keeps the grease out of the firebox so worth using for me.  

On 7/1/2019 at 10:04 AM, chris.beard82 said:

Hi John.  I've just ordered a Classic 3 (hopefully being delivered before the weekend) and have been watching your videos using the sloroller.  Just wondering if you are not using a drip pan because it interferes with the cyclonics, the sloroller manages the fat in a way that makes one unnecessary or if you do generally use one but it is not shown in the videos?

I don't think it would interfere much.  I do have a drip pan that won't interfere with it if needed.. i have one that will sit perfectly on top of the SLoROLLER that is the same diameter.  I use drip pans mostly when I am cooking butts and brisket because of the amount of grease.  I didn't use one on the recent brisket cook just because I wanted to see how the SLoROLLER would handle that much grease and it did fine.