Sign in to follow this  
Thunder77

Less Impressed With Junior

Is it just me, or does the Primo hinge design stink?  I hadn’t used Junior in about two weeks due to a business trip. I started him up last week, and I could not get the lid to close correctly until I wrestled with it for about ten minutes. The hinge always seems to want to keep the lid pulled back.  I keep the hinge lubricated. I have tweaked and adjusted until the cows come home. Any ideas? 

Anyone want to buy an Oval Junior cheap? 

Haven't had any problems with my lid/hinge. Have you kept the band bolts tightened? There's not much that could go wrong. Are the holes in the hinge possibly wallowing out? 

Next time it happens snap a picture. I would like to see just what you are talking about. 

Not sure this will make it thru have pretty sketchy internet at present location.  I think the primo hinge is fine no problems with it.

Sounds like you have an overbite/underbite situation which is correctible.

By chance when standing in front of the handle what side are band bolts on? I ask this because a buddy of mine drove himself bananas trying to fix his issue like yourself. We were lounging around his pool and I noticed his band bolts were on the right side of grill when facing it. My XL's bolts are on left side when facing it. Quick call to Primo to verify bolts should be on the left when facing the grill. We flipped the bands and his lid issue disappeared. Who would have "thunk it". BTW his grill was brand new when bought and delivered assembled.

On the Primo University pages they have a write up on correction of overbite/underbite situations.

I hope you get JR fixed and up and running.

22 minutes ago, Thunder77 said:

My band bolts are also on the left side. 

Something is loose or wallered out. There are actually 8 different pivot points and any one of those could be wallered out. 

If it was mine I would take the spring off then figure out where the play was at. With a wallered out hole you could probably buy a slightly larger bolt to solve that problem. You might have to use a circular file to make the slightly bigger hinge bolt work. No matter what the Oval Jr is a top notch kamado so don't give up. 

On 6/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, Thunder77 said:

@TKOBBQ what say you? :shock:

Mines on the left side, I had issues that I couldn't get corrected on my Jr.  Can't recall the exact specifics at this point.   I do remember getting so aggravated with it that I ordered a new hinge from here: https://aquabbq.com/product/spring-loaded-hinge-mechanism-for-jr/ it corrected the problem. 

I think what was happening is the hinge was a bit sticky, so not moving all the way forward. I tapped on it with a hammer, and it loosened up a bit. I used Junior for a pork shoulder on Saturday, and had no issues with him.

My band bolts may have been too loose also. I looked at an online manual from Primo, and it actually says to tighten the bolts until they bend a little. Who knew? I was afraid of over-tightening them and cracking the ceramic.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, ckreef said:

Something is loose or wallered out. There are actually 8 different pivot points and any one of those could be wallered out. 

If it was mine I would take the spring off then figure out where the play was at. With a wallered out hole you could probably buy a slightly larger bolt to solve that problem. You might have to use a circular file to make the slightly bigger hinge bolt work. No matter what the Oval Jr is a top notch kamado so don't give up. 

Wallered out. LOL! I guess that's a southern thing? :-D

1 hour ago, Thunder77 said:

Wallered out. LOL! I guess that's a southern thing? :-D

But did you know what I meant? 

If you did you just might be a redneck - LOL 

On a more serious note - here is how my band bolts came from the factory. 

jrbandbolts.thumb.jpg.e227f59170c8c115fb53d22c47a51144.jpg

My band bolts were nowhere near that bent. But I took the thing apart to move it, since I was not going to try and move a 115 Lb grill by myself. That is most likely where the problem was.

I did understand what you meant by "wallered out." :-D So I guess I'm a redneck!

I had a similar issue a few years back after pulling my Jr. out of winter hibernation and replacing a really spent gasket. I ended up calling Primo and they walked me through it. Took about 20 minutes. I can't remember specifics other than the band bolts being the key adjustment.