Pit boss 24" ceramic - broken cover

Murphcm

Hi everyone! This is a very tough first post to write on a forum I am new to! I bought a 24" ceramic from someone on Craigslist tonight, got it on the truck and strapped in just fine, got home and asked a neighbor to help me unload it... Dropped it on its top and broke the whole top lid! My fault, I feel like a moron, totally my fault. 

Am I totally screwed here and back to the drawing board? Or is there such thing as a complete replacement top? The bottom seems fine, no cracks, the metal ring around the lid also fine. I only paid 200 for it used, but I'm guessing it will be at least that to get a new one? And thoughts or suggestions welcome here! FML... 

Welcome Murphcm.  :welcome:  You might contact the manufacturer and find out if a new top is available and how much it would cost.  If the answer is unavailable or cost prohibitive, you might explore buying a new one.

Welcome, and sorry to hear your story. Unfortunately, accidents do happen. Don't beat yourself up over it, we have all done things that we latter wish we hadn't. That's why they call them accidents.  I would check the kettle very closely for damage. I would pay specific attention to the top of the kettle where the bands sit, and the bands and hinge assembly itself.  If it is only the dome that was damaged in the fall, then Jack is right, contact the Mfg and check on the availability and price of a new dome. Hopefully even with the purchase of a new dome you may be ahead of the price point for a new kamado. 

Thanks guys! I did email them last night actually and since their auto-reply indicated a 5-7 business day response time right now, I thought I would see if anyone on here had dealt with the same thing on their BGE or otherwise too... 

Fingers crossed they are merciful in their response and I'm not immediately out of the game before it began! Haha 

18 hours ago, Murphcm said:

Thanks guys! I did email them last night actually and since their auto-reply indicated a 5-7 business day response time right now, I thought I would see if anyone on here had dealt with the same thing on their BGE or otherwise too... 

Fingers crossed they are merciful in their response and I'm not immediately out of the game before it began! Haha 

Since you bought your grill used on Craigs List, you, most likely, won't qualify for their warranty, but you should be able to purchase a new dome. Did you find any damage to the bands and kettle?

Yeah I'm sure there's nothing warranty covered here, so just at their mercy! I took some pics I thought I would post of what's left... Anyone familiar with these see anything that would indicate just getting a new cover wouldn't be worth it??

20190630_181017.jpg

20190630_181011.jpg

20190630_181005.jpg

Looks like you could use a new gasket. Did you pull the firebox out?  Sometimes a hairline crack can be invisible until you move the ceramic then it falls apart. The firebox isn’t a big deal though.

Was there a cast iron grate for the bottom of the firebox?

Not sure if the replacement top would come with gasket installed but likely if I were to guess. Maybe try to get them to throw in felt to redo the bottom. 

Spare parts always ways seem to be more expensive than the sum of buying a complete unit. But if you can get the top for a under a couple hundred shipped I’d be happy to be in it for 400. 

Don’t waste time or money on another felt gasket. Get the high temp stuff that will last.  I used Gold Standard High Heat gasket from Amazon, but there are other high heat nomex gaskets. If you order a set for a standard 24” (internal diameter) grill, you will have a little extra. 

58 minutes ago, m-fine said:

Don’t waste time or money on another felt gasket. Get the high temp stuff that will last.  I used Gold Standard High Heat gasket from Amazon, but there are other high heat nomex gaskets. If you order a set for a standard 24” (internal diameter) grill, you will have a little extra. 

Don't forget that there are 2 other critical dimensions to consider when replacing an OEM gasket with High Que Gold Standard or any other high heat nomex:

1. Thickness.  A too thick gasket can cause dome-closing/sealing problems.

2. Width.  Too wide or not wide enough can ruin your installation.

Be sure to tell the supplier exactly which kamado you are using so they can provide the correct gasket.  The folks at High Que are very helpful when it comes to this.  

Great to know! Step one is still praying to the lord they will only charge me about 200 or less to replace the cover, then I'll go from there! :) Hoping I hear back in the next day or so, and I'm not back to the drawing board... 

1 hour ago, Murphcm said:

Great to know! Step one is still praying to the lord they will only charge me about 200 or less to replace the cover, then I'll go from there! :) Hoping I hear back in the next day or so, and I'm not back to the drawing board... 

https://images.pitboss-grills.com/catalog/dealers/pb-k24---parts-price-list---dealer.pdf

22 hours ago, m-fine said:

Oh wow perfect! Didn't find this in my searches. Now I'll just have to figure out where to order it, and if there's any way to get it closer to dealer cost. Also need to take the broken lid out of the trash tonight and get the black vent cover off the top since it looks like it might not come with it... Thanks much!

On 7/1/2019 at 1:04 PM, Jack 101 said:

Don't forget that there are 2 other critical dimensions to consider when replacing an OEM gasket with High Que Gold Standard or any other high heat nomex:

1. Thickness.  A too thick gasket can cause dome-closing/sealing problems.

2. Width.  Too wide or not wide enough can ruin your installation.

Be sure to tell the supplier exactly which kamado you are using so they can provide the correct gasket.  The folks at High Que are very helpful when it comes to this.  

Thanks for this! Based on the look of mine I think I'd need a new one too...