272794868_plated2.thumb.jpg.1344b92e8bcee88237eb9a666b6104a7.jpg

Hello everyone,  here is my effort to challenge myself by deboning a chicken - using the technique of the master, Mister Jacques Pepin!  I could watch that video over and over again and would never bore of it. I can't say that I did it in the two meenoots that he can do it in LOL ... and I must admit that I had a piece of cling-wrap over the screen of my ipad so that I could keep pausing it at each step and rewinding regularly. ha haaa!!

In addition, I couldn't decide on which sauce I wanted to make, so I made two - gravy using the carcass and bones from said chicken along with other ingredients and also a Romesco sauce made from capsicums I roasted in the Kamado too.

Stuffed chicken Galantine

Free-range whole chicken

Spanish serrano ham

Spinach - wilted

Garlic -  a few cloves

Mushrooms - sauteed (I added these once I saw how piddly amount of stuffing I had once the big bag of spinach wilted down to a very small quantity)

Young Asiago cheese

Salt and pepper

olive oil to rub on skin prior to roasting

356238466_chickeningredients2.thumb.jpg.e9a78bc7002c21e5716465b290aac919.jpg

Basically, I used the Jacques Pepin method to de-bone the chicken and only messed up one foot because me being me, I took the whole de-boning thing too far and removed that bone but it was all good.

This is what it looked like sans-carcass.

1463786248_deboned2.thumb.jpg.07bb443677bcb2ce3dfd19c8e985b37f.jpg

With the tasty stuffing.

1721717626_withstuffingingredients.thumb.jpg.476c66ade1040711abae54145d9771e8.jpg

Trussed and ready to cook (not as elegant as Jacques - but not bad for a first timer, if I must say so myself :))

1130676957_chookinthekamado.thumb.jpg.eecfb74df14ca4beb3b896efee347c9f.jpg

Romesco Sauce

4 red capsicums - fire roasted

6 sun dried tomato halves

2/3 cup almonds

big bunch of parsley from the garden

4 garlic cloves

6 Tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (or sherry vinegar if you have it - I didn't so also added an extra teaspoon of red wine vinegar)

2 teaspoons pimenton/smoked paprika

1312549232_romescoingredients.thumb.jpg.822919d223a7c30b8ac0f39a001bf438.jpgb

Basically, I roasted and cleaned up the capsicums the day before, then cooked off the garlic and nuts in the olive oil until the garlic just started to very lightly colour (to take out the harshness) and then popped all the ingredients, including the oil into the food processor until still slightly chunky. Refrigerated overnight for the flavours to meld.

1883386207_roastedpeppers.thumb.jpg.13dcc8905d454ba18174efbe1676dbca.jpg

Gravy

562187629_stockingredients.thumb.jpg.fef3985777a962fec72f700675050afa.jpg

carcass and bones from my de-boned chicken

1 kg chicken wings

4 x strips streaky bacon (I had forgotten to take it out of the fridge prior to taking this photo)

3 x ribs celery

2 x carrots

2 x onions

2 or 3 rosemary sticks

a couple of bay leaves

a couple of star anise

some bunches of tarragon

a few whole pepper corns

1.5 litre chicken stock

flour and butter to make a roux - I just wing this so can't say the quantities sorry.

I roasted all ingredients listed up to and including rosemary in the oven until well cooked and deep in colour / flavour.

Transferred to a big pot and then deglazed the oven tray of all the delicious bits stuck to the bottom and then poured that into the pot, along with the bay leaves, tarragon and star anise.

Simmered on low for a couple of hours and gave everything a good moosh (culinary technical term :-D) with the wooden spoon every now and then to extract maximum flavour.

Strained and cooled in the fridge for a while.

I then scooped off a lot of the chicken fat before adding to the roux to make a very flavoursome and delicious gravy. :wub:

My friend and neighbours took their own money shots on their phones when I was plating. They've never had a deboned chicken before and were very impressed when i was "carving" what appeared to them to be a whole chicken.

Good Job!  I took a cooking class with Jacques Pepin and he showed us how to debone a chicken and the process took about 6 minutes.  And then he said "Of course, this is how I do it" and he deboned a chicken in about 45 seconds.  A true master.

9 minutes ago, daninpd said:

Good Job!  I took a cooking class with Jacques Pepin and he showed us how to debone a chicken and the process took about 6 minutes.  And then he said "Of course, this is how I do it" and he deboned a chicken in about 45 seconds.  A true master.

thank you @daninpd I'm envious that you got to meet him and do his cooking class.  :wub: He is indeed a true master and a great inspiration to try new techniques.

Wow fantastic cook. I have never deboned a whole chicken but this cook makes me want to try one day. Great entry. 

P. S.  I have not forgotten about you. I will make it right one day. May take me forever but I will one day. 

Glad to see you back entering the challenges.  B)

11 hours ago, ckreef said:

Wow fantastic cook. I have never deboned a whole chicken but this cook makes me want to try one day. Great entry. 

P. S.  I have not forgotten about you. I will make it right one day. May take me forever but I will one day. 

Glad to see you back entering the challenges.  B)

thanks @ckreef  - before giving it a go, you must watch the video of Jacques doing it.  He is mesmerising :-)    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8

Even how he shows you how to easily remove that strip of sinewy strip from the tenderloin - it's a fantastic tip.:)

PS: it's great to see you guys back online and having the opportunity to try new things in the kamado. 

10 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

Great looking cook. I feel it was a real stretch cook with de-boning the chicken.

thank you @Golf Griller  I'm keen to try it again. :)  Maybe one day I'll try it with quail too.