272794868_plated2.thumb.jpg.1344b92e8bcee88237eb9a666b6104a7.jpg

Hello everyone,  here is my effort to challenge myself by deboning a chicken - using the technique of the master, Mister Jacques Pepin!  I could watch that video over and over again and would never bore of it. I can't say that I did it in the two meenoots that he can do it in LOL ... and I must admit that I had a piece of cling-wrap over the screen of my ipad so that I could keep pausing it at each step and rewinding regularly. ha haaa!!

In addition, I couldn't decide on which sauce I wanted to make, so I made two - gravy using the carcass and bones from said chicken along with other ingredients and also a Romesco sauce made from capsicums I roasted in the Kamado too.

Stuffed chicken Galantine

Free-range whole chicken

Spanish serrano ham

Spinach - wilted

Garlic -  a few cloves

Mushrooms - sauteed (I added these once I saw how piddly amount of stuffing I had once the big bag of spinach wilted down to a very small quantity)

Young Asiago cheese

Salt and pepper

olive oil to rub on skin prior to roasting

356238466_chickeningredients2.thumb.jpg.e9a78bc7002c21e5716465b290aac919.jpg

Basically, I used the Jacques Pepin method to de-bone the chicken and only messed up one foot because me being me, I took the whole de-boning thing too far and removed that bone but it was all good.

This is what it looked like sans-carcass.

1463786248_deboned2.thumb.jpg.07bb443677bcb2ce3dfd19c8e985b37f.jpg

With the tasty stuffing.

1721717626_withstuffingingredients.thumb.jpg.476c66ade1040711abae54145d9771e8.jpg

Trussed and ready to cook (not as elegant as Jacques - but not bad for a first timer, if I must say so myself :))

1130676957_chookinthekamado.thumb.jpg.eecfb74df14ca4beb3b896efee347c9f.jpg

Romesco Sauce

4 red capsicums - fire roasted

6 sun dried tomato halves

2/3 cup almonds

big bunch of parsley from the garden

4 garlic cloves

6 Tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (or sherry vinegar if you have it - I didn't so also added an extra teaspoon of red wine vinegar)

2 teaspoons pimenton/smoked paprika

1312549232_romescoingredients.thumb.jpg.822919d223a7c30b8ac0f39a001bf438.jpgb

Basically, I roasted and cleaned up the capsicums the day before, then cooked off the garlic and nuts in the olive oil until the garlic just started to very lightly colour (to take out the harshness) and then popped all the ingredients, including the oil into the food processor until still slightly chunky. Refrigerated overnight for the flavours to meld.

1883386207_roastedpeppers.thumb.jpg.13dcc8905d454ba18174efbe1676dbca.jpg

Gravy

562187629_stockingredients.thumb.jpg.fef3985777a962fec72f700675050afa.jpg

carcass and bones from my de-boned chicken

1 kg chicken wings

4 x strips streaky bacon (I had forgotten to take it out of the fridge prior to taking this photo)

3 x ribs celery

2 x carrots

2 x onions

2 or 3 rosemary sticks

a couple of bay leaves

a couple of star anise

some bunches of tarragon

a few whole pepper corns

1.5 litre chicken stock

flour and butter to make a roux - I just wing this so can't say the quantities sorry.

I roasted all ingredients listed up to and including rosemary in the oven until well cooked and deep in colour / flavour.

Transferred to a big pot and then deglazed the oven tray of all the delicious bits stuck to the bottom and then poured that into the pot, along with the bay leaves, tarragon and star anise.

Simmered on low for a couple of hours and gave everything a good moosh (culinary technical term :-D) with the wooden spoon every now and then to extract maximum flavour.

Strained and cooled in the fridge for a while.

I then scooped off a lot of the chicken fat before adding to the roux to make a very flavoursome and delicious gravy. :wub:

My friend and neighbours took their own money shots on their phones when I was plating. They've never had a deboned chicken before and were very impressed when i was "carving" what appeared to them to be a whole chicken.

Good Job!  I took a cooking class with Jacques Pepin and he showed us how to debone a chicken and the process took about 6 minutes.  And then he said "Of course, this is how I do it" and he deboned a chicken in about 45 seconds.  A true master.

9 minutes ago, daninpd said:

Good Job!  I took a cooking class with Jacques Pepin and he showed us how to debone a chicken and the process took about 6 minutes.  And then he said "Of course, this is how I do it" and he deboned a chicken in about 45 seconds.  A true master.

thank you @daninpd I'm envious that you got to meet him and do his cooking class.  :wub: He is indeed a true master and a great inspiration to try new techniques.

Wow fantastic cook. I have never deboned a whole chicken but this cook makes me want to try one day. Great entry. 

P. S.  I have not forgotten about you. I will make it right one day. May take me forever but I will one day. 

Glad to see you back entering the challenges.  B)

11 hours ago, ckreef said:

Wow fantastic cook. I have never deboned a whole chicken but this cook makes me want to try one day. Great entry. 

P. S.  I have not forgotten about you. I will make it right one day. May take me forever but I will one day. 

Glad to see you back entering the challenges.  B)

thanks @ckreef  - before giving it a go, you must watch the video of Jacques doing it.  He is mesmerising :-)    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8

Even how he shows you how to easily remove that strip of sinewy strip from the tenderloin - it's a fantastic tip.:)

PS: it's great to see you guys back online and having the opportunity to try new things in the kamado. 

8 minutes ago, lunchman said:

Wow, just a fantastic looking plate.  Lots of effort and it certainly paid off. Superb job!

thank you so much @lunchman it was very tasty.

10 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

Great looking cook. I feel it was a real stretch cook with de-boning the chicken.

thank you @Golf Griller  I'm keen to try it again. :)  Maybe one day I'll try it with quail too.

4 hours ago, Thunder77 said:

That is something I never would have thought of. Great job! Looks delicious, and your presentation is wonderful! :respect:

awww shucks... thank you @Thunder77 :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pmillen
      For one spatchcocked chicken that serves two people.  The recipe is for enough sauce to marinate and baste two servings, so multiply it by the number of servings (½ chicken per person) you are preparing.

INGREDIENTS
      1 fryer chicken per person two people

Marinade
      ½ cup soy sauce 
      ½ cup ketchup 
      ¼ cup chicken broth 
      ¼ cup pineapple juice (optional) 
      4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
      2 Tbsp fresh ginger minced and smashed to form paste that emulsifies 
      2 Tbsp garlic minced and smashed to form paste that emulsifies 
      2 tsp dry Chinese-style mustard 
      4 tsp lime juice

DIRECTIONS
      Huli-Huli is a Hawaiian phrase that roughly translates to “turn-turn.”  This recipe is great for just about any grill and will work very well for those who like rotisserie cooking.  Some cooks insist that every time they grill chicken, especially whole or half chickens, they brine it for at least 24 hours.  If you desire to do this – I say have at it.  Sometimes I don’t know what I’m going to grill for dinner at night until I see what’s available in the grocery store meat counter at 5 o’clock, so to brine or marinate overnight is not always an option.  This is a recipe that you can cook without a long marinate. You can make it up in about 15 minutes and serve in under an hour or marinate overnight and cook the next day.

Preparation
      1.     Mix all marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container and divide in half.
      2.     Place chicken in plastic bag and add marinade, seal and place in refrigerator for 3 hours or up to overnight.
      3.     Remove from marinade and pat dry, discard used marinade.

Cook
      4.     Preheat grill to Medium High (350F – 450°F) and make sure the grates are CLEAN. 
      5.     Warm the reserved sauce on a side burner or warming rack.
      6.     Place the chicken, skin-side up, on grates to allow the bones to heat up the core for a few minutes then turn it and place it on a new section of the grates to sear the skin. 
      7.     After the chicken skin has seared, turn the bird over and baste it with sauce, allowing it to glaze a bit before turning again.
      8.     Turn it about every 5 minutes, basting it with sauce each time. 
      9.     Remove the chicken from the grill upon reaching the internal temperature of 160°F (instant read thermometer placed in the center of the breast or thickest portion of the meat on thigh – away from bone) and place it on a clean warm plate.
      10.  Baste it once more and cover it with aluminum foil and let it stand for at least 10 minutes – allowing for the internal temp of the chicken to rise approximately 10 degrees and continue cooking to your desired internal temperature.

NOTE: Use a meat thermometer while cooking to check for doneness – 180°F for whole chicken, 170°F for bone-in parts and 160°F for boneless parts.

ROTISSERIE:  This recipe can be used in preparing a whole chicken on the rotisserie.  Use the guidelines for heat settings that are appropriate to your grill, basting about every 5 minutes with sauce.

• By Lydia
      When I was first looking into getting a Kamado, the guy at BBQ's Galore shop was listing off all the things that a Kamado could do, and the final thing he mentioned was Tandoor. SOLD! Ever since then, I've been wanting to make this dish, and the July challenge was the perfect opportunity.

Tandoori Chicken

The smell of this marinade was incredible.  I will definitely be making this again on a  regular basis. Absolutely delicious!  I don't know what else I'm going to use that massive bag of chilli powder for!! 

1 kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs
      1/2 cup plain yoghurt
      juice of one lime
      1 tablespoon garam Masala
      1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
      1/2 tablespoon kashmiri chilli powder
      1/2 tablespoon methi (fenugreek leaves)
      1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      4 cloves garlic, minced
      grated fresh ginger, approx 1/2 Tablespoon once grated
      1/2 Tablespoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon red food colouring (optional) - you will notice in the photo of the ingredients, that I bought a packet of this but decided against using it.  When I looked up what food colour 124 was and found out that it's made from synthetic coal tar ,  I chose to leave it out.  Therein is the beauty of making things from scratch - you have the power to choose what goes in and what doesn't. 

Basically, i mixed together all the marinade ingredients, and cut some deep slashes in the thighs so that the marinade could penetrate the chicken, mixed together and refrigerated for a few hours.

by the time the marinading was done, it was pretty dark outside.

I fired her up and the smell emanating from this chicken is something everyone should experience coming from their Kamado at some point in their lives.

The perfect accompaniment for the chicken is  a cucumber and herb yoghurt sauce.

Raita

1 cup plain yoghurt
      1 lebanese cucumber peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
      1 clove of garlic minced
      juice of half a lime
      a big bunch of mint and coriander finely chopped
      small grating of fresh ginger for a bit of warmth
      salt to taste

this is a pic of the amount of herbs that went in to this tasty sauce.

This was the first time ever that my husband and I ate a whole kg of chicken in one sitting!  LOL ... he said "i just can.not stop eating this". ha haaa

The next time I make this, I will take it to the next level by making my own garam masala spice blend. I can't wait because I'm sure it will be mind-blowing.

Garam Masala Spice Blend recipe by Vijaya Selvaraju

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
      2 tablespoons coriander seeds
      2 teaspoons black pepper corns
      1 star anise
      1/4 of a whole nutmeg
      10 green cardamon pods
      1 stick cinnamon

don't toast the spices. Just whiz them up in a spice grinder and store in fridge or freezer.

The money shot was supposed to include slices of cucumber but I couldn't control myself and started eating this before setting it up properly. ha haaa!!

• By kamado mofo
      Hello All!!!  Grilling spatchcock chicken with John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler!!!!

• By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to cook things she’ll like, most of the time , so I cooked up some Chichen Shawarma. Started out by skinning and de-boning some chicken thighs that I had thawed out. I cut each in half and set them aside in the fridge.

I now got out the ingredients for a yogurt based Sharwarma marinade.

Everybody in the pool

and gave it a good spin with the whisk.

I then put the chicken thighs in and stirred it up to get complete coverage on all surfaces.

I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge to rest overnight. Now I made up a batch of Tzatziki.

Link to recipes:

The next day I broke out my vertical spit.

And loaded it up with the Shawarma and topped it with a nice thick slice of red onion

After I had preheated my kamado up to 325 for 1/2 hour I put the Shawarma in.

I checked on it after about 25 minutes and knew it could go much longer.

After about 1 hour I started getting everything ready. I cut up my veggies

and got the Tzatziki out.

I also set up my craving station.

Once the Shawarma developed some char on it, I removed it and sliced off the outer layer and then placed it back in the kamado.

I warmed up some flat bread and spooned on some Tzatziki and then made up some Shawarma Sammi’s.

Here they are served street food style with a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and some mandarin orange slices.

SO GOOD!

Thanks for looking.