Do most of you take the time to remove the rib membrane?  I'm about 50/50.  I honestly can tell the difference.  I just take it off because. I've never ate a rib with the membrane on and said wow, this rib is tough because of the membrane.  What's your take on the membrane removal?

4 hours ago, MD_Ag said:

It's extremely noticeable with Beef Back Ribs. I'd always suggest removing it.

I have read that the membrane should be left on beef ribs since there is not enough meat to keep the bones attached.

19 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

I have read that the membrane should be left on beef ribs since there is not enough meat to keep the bones attached.

And I think it's the tastiest part of a beef back rib.

22 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

That membrane always gets too leathery for me. I've left it on a few times from laziness, but I prefer to remove it. As for holding together, I've never had an issue. You want to make sure you're not seeing the bones directly before cooking. No butcher will leave much (ribeye gets 3x the money) but even a thin layer will give enough support.

i always take it off because i have always heard that it SHOULD come off... on the time(s) that i forgot, or couldnt get it off, i thought it was like trying to bite through a plastic sheet... 

it was off-putting to the whole experience

I used to remove from pork ribs but now all I do is score it multiple time across the ribs. We prefer ribs close to fall off the bone and leaving it on gives me a little extra leeway.

On pork I remove it. Allows for better rub adherence to the meat. 

On beef short ribs, I leave it on,  but sometimes score it. Beef ribs are done when a probe passes easily through the membrane. 

I dont remove it on either and like Golf Griller mention, I think on beef you're not supposed to remove.  I've never really noticed a difference on pork whether its on or off so just save myself the hassle.  To each their own I guess.