Lowcountrygamecock

DoJoe Pizza top not getting done

I've done two cooks in the DoJoe so far and both times the tops of the pizzas were not completely done.  We purchased the dough from a local pizza place so i don't know the hydration level.  I cooked the first two at 450 the first night and the second two at 500 the second night.  They cooked for about 8-10 minutes.  Bottoms were perfect and didn't burn but the tops weren't  done.  30-60 seconds in the oven on broil fixed it but i feel like i shouldn't have to do that.  I followed the instructions that came with the DoJoe to a T.  Any thoughts?

This is a tricky one, I suspect, although I can’t confirm this, the pizza place used fat or sugar in the dough and the dojo might be cooking hotter than you realize.  That would account for your bottom browning before your top.  

Have you tried making your own dough? 

We have made our own dough for years but I haven't tried it in the DoJoe yet.  We like the dough from this pizza place and they charge $5 for three fresh 16" dough balls.  It's not worth the effort when good dough is that cheap.  I need to try our recipes though.

Did you ask the pizza place what temp they run their ovens? That would be a good starting point to dial in the temp on your KJ. Before i started making my own dough on the regulator, I’d always ask the place where I bought my dough that very question. Steered me right every time. 

$5 for 3 dough balls is hard to beat. But... making fresh dough only takes me about five minutes on day 1 and about the same amount of time on day 2 (I do a 24-hour RT ferment, thrown in the fridge if necessary to slow things down), and I find the ritual somewhat therapeutic, so now I always go the home-made route. 

17 hours ago, Lowcountrygamecock said:

... both times the tops of the pizzas were not completely done. ... 30-60 seconds in the oven on broil fixed it ...

Try getting the dome hotter. Let it heat soak before cooking. 

I had an Akorn, which made pizza as you describe; great bottom but it needed 5 in the broiler. It seemed clear the metal dome didn't hold heat like ceramic, so there wasn't enough heat on top to cook at the same rate as afforded by the pizza stone on the bottom. 

My solution is a Big Joe, run at ~700 F with a good 30 minute heat soak at temperature. I've also been making my own dough (just flour/water/yeast/salt) and find the 2-3 days in the refrigerator do amazing things for flavor. 

Have fun,

Frank

On 7/2/2019 at 1:41 AM, fbov said:

Try getting the dome hotter. Let it heat soak before cooking. 

I had an Akorn, which made pizza as you describe; great bottom but it needed 5 in the broiler. It seemed clear the metal dome didn't hold heat like ceramic, so there wasn't enough heat on top to cook at the same rate as afforded by the pizza stone on the bottom. 

My solution is a Big Joe, run at ~700 F with a good 30 minute heat soak at temperature. I've also been making my own dough (just flour/water/yeast/salt) and find the 2-3 days in the refrigerator do amazing things for flavor. 

Have fun,

Frank

You mind posting your recipe for dough?  We’re still trying to find the right mix of time, recipe and temperature. Fun trying!

2 hours ago, Lowcountrygamecock said:

You mind posting your recipe for dough?  We’re still trying to find the right mix of time, recipe and temperature. Fun trying!

Here’s my dough recipe.

for each ~12” pie:

200 g King Arthur bread flour

124 g to 130 g water (62% to 65% hydration)

4 to 5 g sea salt

0.06 g instant dry yeast (per pizzamaking.com’s fermentation table)

mix everything in a tub and leave at room temp for about 24 hours, refrigerating if necessary to slow things down. Ball about 2 to 3 hours in advance of cook. Cook at about 600*F for 8 to 10 minutes, keeping an eye on the bottom to avoid burning. 

I usually top (lightly) with warm tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and steamed broccoli. Less is more, IMO.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, Lowcountrygamecock said:

You mind posting your recipe for dough?  

flour/water/yeast/salt 

The "recipe" you request is just crude proportions.

Flour-to-water ratio is "hydration," typically 60-70%. 500g flour gets 300 to 350g of water. 

Salt is to taste, typically a 1/2 to 2 teaspoons for this much flour. 

Yeast depends on your plans:

- use a lot (a packet is 2+ teaspoons, 7 g.) if you plan to bake within hours

- use a pinch (very little, 0.07 g isn't bad) if you have time (days) for fermentation, a la @Chris Topher

Yeast will "be fruitful and multiply" given time. They will also die off over many generations, leaving a multi-day dough with a wonderful yeasty taste that makes for excellent crust. 1 day is good, 3 days best according to testers.  

Enjoy!

Frank

@Lowcountrygamecock I tried my dojoe for the first time saturday, but I went with the recipe that came with it. Honestly, I didn't give it enough time to ferment before lighting the dojoe and I had to end up adding more charcoal before the dough was ready. Once the dough was ready and the dome temp was coasting around 625 the pizzas only took about 7 min and our tops were perfect for all three. 

I'm in West Ashley, what shop are you getting your dough from?

On 7/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, Lowcountrygamecock said:

I cut back on toppings today and it still didn’t get completely done. Also let it soak for about thirty minutes at 500 before I started. Still dang good pizza. 

do you have any photos of the finished pizza?