TexasBlues

What are you cooking for our nation's birthday?

2 minutes ago, Scott Roberts said:

@lunchman that looked to be a great meal and I too have been telling myself i don't need that 22 inch Blackstone from Wally World!:rofl:

Scott

I was telling the Mrs yesterday that I was considering one since I've seen so many members who own and love them. She doesn't have an issue with me buying another grill but I really don't have the real estate on my deck. Then I saw the 22" portable one and thought it would easily fit on my bbq cart, could be stored out of the weather in my bbq shed and would make use of the spare LP tank I have from a once owned gasser. At $147 it seemed like a great buy but will it get a ton of use? Errr, probably not. Sometimes logic has to take precedence over emotions. 

I managed just fine with three grills!

5lbs of bacon burnt ends. Brisket burnt ends. And a sliced brisket flat. Got a nice smoke ring on the flat. Was good. Also made a ton of homemade french fries (i used alton brown’s tomorrow fries recipe its awesome) and we had burgers and hotdogs. Great Independence Day meal

F75C6DD0-CD79-4A98-AA5A-F6D973A4BF8B.jpeg

A6F45220-1E87-4A0D-90D7-666E0C433C47.jpeg

4 hours ago, Family_cook said:

Good one.  I guess not being from Texas I break all the rules. I don't intend to use to compensate for dry brisket:) . That's my intention:) . I went to a great BBQ place in Austin and folks were pouring BBQ sauce all over the brisket.  Maybe like me they were tourists:)

haha... yeah but that's not the reason– though many will try to hide dry brisket by either chopping it or covering it in bbq sauce. True believers want the fatty and they don't sauce it ever. Nothing cute on this end– just salt, pepper, wood (preferably oak or pecan), fire and smoke... 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:16 AM, TexasBlues said:

Mornin all!

I hope this finds each and every one of you well!

What are your cooking plans for this birthday meal?

I am planning on getting MUCH grill time this weekend (4 days off!)

the PLAN is for some pork ribs on Thursday, and maybe a butt on Friday... possibly some filler foods (burgers/dogs, etc) for the mid-day 'hungries'

I plan to do much around the house all 4 days... cooking, cleaning, fixing, moving stuff etc

I was thinking about a brisket, but I think I will wait until Labor Day for that one... more people may be available to eat it

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

flags.jpg

Nice photo

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

@lunchman  once you get a propane griddle you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. 

I will go on record again, I fail to understand how they are not the number one grill category in the US by sales. For life with kids they are a game changer. 

PS - when we got to our host's this evening, there was a Primo large cooking down. Pulled pork was delicious. 

2 hours ago, lunchman said:

I managed just fine with three grills!

Yeah keep telling yourself that! Hasn't worked to well with me;-) I have eight and counting-LOL all small but still eight!

Scott

Edited by Scott Roberts

Hotdogs and Hamburgers,  corn on the Kamado,  Potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans.  It was sort of a spur of the moment and it was delicious. Maybe the best hamburgers I've cooked.  I never seem to get them right.  Usually too small and thick like a meat ball.  These came out really good and big and flat.  They fit the bun great. . All this food for 4 people. 

5 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

Yeah keep telling yourself that! Hasn't worked to well with me;-) I have eight and counting-LOL all small but still eight!

Scott

I was thinking along that same line. Count me at 7 plus a few other odds and ends. 

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

@lunchman  once you get a propane griddle you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. 

I second that opinion! I have the 36-inch Blackstone and use it at least 4 days a week. It's a great compliment to the Big Joe.