DoJoe issue

11 hours ago, canon35mm said:

I was thinking maybe I overfilled the firebox. I tried to follow the instructions but next time I will try less charcoal. 

Kamados are a fuel rich oxygen starved cooker. You control the temp based on airflow not the amount of fuel. It doesn’t matter how much fuel you have. 

6 hours ago, Ben S said:

Kamados are a fuel rich oxygen starved cooker. You control the temp based on airflow not the amount of fuel. It doesn’t matter how much fuel you have. 

I was thinking the proximity of the coals to the deflector plate could overheat the deflector. 

2 hours ago, canon35mm said:

I was thinking the proximity of the coals to the deflector plate could overheat the deflector. 

It shouldn’t make a noticeable difference. 

13 hours ago, Ben S said:

... Unless you have too little lump.

6 hours ago, canon35mm said:

The gap between the deflectors and the pizza stone should minimize overheating the pizza stone. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, ckreef said:

I have to agree with this. The small amount of heat escaping from those cracks is nothing compared to the heat escaping from the open front. 

The air escaping from the open front has already done it's job, passing through the dome and over the pizza.  The issue is not air escaping, but rather cooler air being drawn in from the gaps between the dome and DoJoe lowering the overall temperature. 

• 2 weeks later...

The radiant heat from the dome acts as a broil element cooking the toppings.  Are you giving your cooker enough time to heat saturate the dome?

When I make pizza, I use an infrared thermometer to make sure the dome has reached 400 F for lower temp pizza & 500 F for high temp pizzas.