mike echo

Poor KJ Representation at My Costco

This would be the Costco Brentwood, TN, July 2nd, 2019. I am not intent on mudslinging or getting a sales rep into hot water.  Just wondering.

So I go over to get some KJ lump, at 1100 hrs. Sales guy says they are sold out. "I'll have it tomorrow. Hmm. Is the intent to just sell only the Units? Are the sales reps not given the KJ products to enhance the  product. I.e. buy a new KJ but no lump to go with with the purchase. Is there a sales rep. training problem?  Do they really believe in the product or are just warm bodies hired for that particular sales gig?

Oh yeah. I forgot an item and went back to Costco the next day-3 Jul. Great. I can get that lump. It was after 1800 hrs. but no sales rep., which I anticipated and no lump to be seen. So much for the sales reps. words. On the original contact , as a sales rep. I may have apologized and said "I'll put as couple of bags back for you, in case you are in the area tomorrow."

Last year was much the same as described.

So much for that inconvenience for a great product.

M.

Never had this problem.  They ran out of lump on day 1 once but that's the extent of my frustration. Every other time, they're awesome!  He even gave me his number and told me to call/text ahead to makes sure the resupply of charcoal actually came in when it was supposed to before I headed over.  Was just at Costco yesterday and stopped by the roadshow.  We chatted a bit about how awesome our KJs are, good times!

No Costco by me, but I had a similar experience when I got my Classic II at the Mall of Georgia Costco when passing by.  I already had a Classic 1 and and had researched the new features of the Classic II.  I definitely knew more about the product than the sales rep.  Based on my conversation with him, I was not convinced he had ever cooked on one.

3 hours ago, mike echo said:

This would be the Costco Brentwood, TN, July 2nd, 2019. I am not intent on mudslinging or getting a sales rep into hot water.  Just wondering.

So I go over to get some KJ lump, at 1100 hrs. Sales guy says they are sold out. "I'll have it tomorrow. Hmm. Is the intent to just sell only the Units? Are the sales reps not given the KJ products to enhance the  product. I.e. buy a new KJ but no lump to go with with the purchase. Is there a sales rep. training problem?  Do they really believe in the product or are just warm bodies hired for that particular sales gig?

Oh yeah. I forgot an item and went back to Costco the next day-3 Jul. Great. I can get that lump. It was after 1800 hrs. but no sales rep., which I anticipated and no lump to be seen. So much for the sales reps. words. On the original contact , as a sales rep. I may have apologized and said "I'll put as couple of bags back for you, in case you are in the area tomorrow."

The sales reps have no control over shipping. It's not unusual to run out of lump halfway through a show, especially in the summer. He was probably expecting more, based on the information he had but it could be the shipper got delayed, the pallets were still buried in the back of the Costco receiving dock, or arrived overnight but then placed high in the steel  (and Costco doesn't like getting pallets down during store hours)...there are a bunch of reasons why the charcoal got delayed getting to the floor. 

And of course the store and KJ want lump to go with every grill. Why wouldn't they?

All of the reps I ever met were knowledgeable about their products and worked hard to answer questions. There may be some duds but when your sales =  paycheck it behooves the rep to know the product. 

As for the rep not being there at 6 pm, he was probably in the bathroom or on a short break. The reps work 11 days straight including the travel and setup day, 11 hours a day from open to close and with no help...and standing on concrete. But most likely at that hour he was helping a customer to load their new grill into a vehicle. The times between 4 pm and store closing are the busiest times for grills to go out the door.