TobyLeRone

Louisiana Grills Kamado - Costco UK

Hi all!

So, my first post on here as a proud owner of my first grill in general let alone Kamado since moving into my first home here in the south of England.

I had an interest in a Kamado for a while and after seeing this one in Costco UK I decided to go for it. 

I spent time carefully reading through the pitboss review pinned as I assume this is the same grill? Hence why I’ve posted it in this section as there isn’t an LG section.

My question is the mods suggested in that thread for the extra felt at the bottom and top, mine appears to have a vented sliding cover as well as the solid one, does the extra felt still need fitting and will the same pattern described there work? The top is also fastened with screws, I assume I just need to make holes in the felt for the screws?

There were talks on there about moving the grill rack itself up as it sits below the rim of the ceramic/opening, did anyone find the solution for this? 

Can anyone from the UK help for places to source accessories?

Will do my running in burn this weekend, or once those mods are made, very keen to get learning.

I’ll attach some photos!

Thanks in advance

Toby!

F7166269-64D4-4F24-8128-F7D7D024D952.jpeg

173D0BE4-98D5-46A1-846B-836CA6A525FB.jpeg

D789E3EE-3EAB-43AD-9B88-A4B5F2A2E64A.jpeg

D4B7999F-AA37-4B26-B7CB-6FE34C11FB35.jpeg

1 hour ago, TobyLeRone said:

Quick note/addition, I see ceramicgrillstore doesn’t ship to the UK in order to get the woo ring... I’ve emailed them asking but if anyone has help that would be great!

Let me know how you get on, I'm thinking of buying one as it seems good value for money compared to a Kamodo Joe.

I've also seen a number of divide and conquer systems for ceramic grills, like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YNNI-Divide-Conquer-Complete-Universal/dp/B07KT95CWV/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=divide+and+conquer+kamado&qid=1562264788&s=gateway&sprefix=divide+and+conquer&sr=8-7

They do various sizes from 20 inch to 25 inch but not a 24 inch, will any of these fit?

3 hours ago, Jack 101 said:

Welcome TobyLeRone.  :welcome:

Thanks Jack! 

3 hours ago, Jonnyowl said:

Let me know how you get on, I'm thinking of buying one as it seems good value for money compared to a Kamodo Joe.

I've also seen a number of divide and conquer systems for ceramic grills, like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YNNI-Divide-Conquer-Complete-Universal/dp/B07KT95CWV/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=divide+and+conquer+kamado&qid=1562264788&s=gateway&sprefix=divide+and+conquer&sr=8-7

They do various sizes from 20 inch to 25 inch but not a 24 inch, will any of these fit?

Will do. I’ve ordered the gasket for the mods that everyone recommends. 

Ceramicgrillstore got back to me, they will ship but it’s $67 US.... it’s  only like a $30 item! Maybe I can cram more in the box, or try and get something fabricated locally, it isn’t the most complex of shapes. 

Can anyone aid in that in pictures or something of how it should sit, from that I can give a design/measurements to a local metal company. 

I know the LG/PB is called a 24 but that’s outer rather than inner so it’s more like a 22, the 20 is 2 inches too small, only way would be to try I guess... 

21 hours ago, TobyLeRone said:

Thanks Jack! 

Maybe I can cram more in the box, or try and get something fabricated locally, it isn’t the most complex of shapes. 

Can anyone aid in that in pictures or something of how it should sit, from that I can give a design/measurements to a local metal company. 

This is a CGS Vision Spider Combo and it fits in both the Vision B, Pro models, and the Large BGE. It's construction, looks to me, like something that would cost a significant amount to build for the first time. Having used one, I would say it is worth the $67 in shipping if that is the only way I could get it. 

IMG_0431.thumb.jpeg.fc496c903d617f5d365551526a0b9c92.jpeg

The Vision Spider combo has a spider welded to the bottom of the AR so you can move the whole assembly including a deflector in and out of the grill in one motion. I would talk to Tom at CGS about how the AR made for a Louisiana grill or Pit Boss is designed. The Ar sits onto of the fire ring. In models that do not have a spider attached you can get a spider and use the two pieces together. Really well built stuff out of substantial 304 stainless .

I agree with Keeper, the $67 shipping is worth it considering the versatility you acquire.  The CGS adjustable rack was one of the first upgrades I purchased for my Vision back in 2012.  It has held up beautifully over the years and many, many cooks.

I've had my Pitt Boss for over a year and have not had any issue with the grate that came with the grill. Yes it does sit below the felt line but I have had no issue adding or removing food with the grill as designed. Tbh I think the cgs ring only really come into its own when you are looking to do a divided setup for say reverse sear steak but there are options to do that without it especially if you cut the hinge on the top rack and buy a half moon heat deflector.

Edited by ndg_2000
Spelling

Just went to Costco to measure the firebox width and it was 51 cm.

Looking in Amazon,

YNNI 23 inch Divide and Conquer Complete Kamado Grill Universal TQDC23

this divide and conquer system should fit!

Keeperovdeflame, thanks for the advice that certainly does make it seem like a better option. I was also thinking of ordering more since he said it was that price due to being over a certain size so I should be able to order a couple more bits and keep the same postage. Well that was for the woo ring not the whole spider combo. He did say he’d be very surprised if the stones survive the journey though that’s the problem :/

So, today I did my run in burn and then my first cook this evening. Think I under fuelled it, only did some chicken thighs, beef shish kebabs and chorizo as it was just for two and I wanted to cook something... got a steady 200c and everything came out lovely and moist. The temperature dropped off faster than I was expecting but I assume that was due to a lack of fuel. The videos I watched they filled it way more than I did for equivalent cooks. 

Jonnyowl, that’s great thanks! I guess I’ll bite the bullet and gamble on it, I can always send it back if it doesn’t fit I suppose. That would also save the postage issue on the cgs version.

Toby, get in the habit of filling you fire box full regardless of what or how much you are going to cook. The size of your fire is dependent on the amount of air you feed it and not regulated by the amount of fuel you put in the fire box. Here is my Large Egg with a full load. You can see the top of the lump is way above the air holes and pretty much covers all but the handles of my KAB. 

IMG_0430.thumb.jpeg.a8c3702a6b06193094e433dd7a3a402a.jpeg

I have the Adjustable rig and the woo ring from the Ceramic Grill Store and I'll testify that it's really well made and super useful, that being said I am allergic to paying big shipping costs.  One other place you can check is alibaba.com, I can't offer any advice for buying from there and you probably have a website tailored to the UK, but they sell all kinds of accessories right from Auplex that make these kamados, for example, their divide and conquer system:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Kamado-Accessories-Divide-Conquer_60412468296.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.240.571deb1akfbwBr

They also sell stones and ash baskets. 

I know others on the forum have bought from alibaba before and maybe shipping wouldn't be any cheaper, just something I thought I'd throw out there.