Louisiana Grills Kamado - Costco UK

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all! So, my first post on here as a proud owner of my first grill in general let alone Kamado since moving into my first home here in the south of England. I had an interest in a Kamado f

Quick note/addition, I see ceramicgrillstore doesn’t ship to the UK in order to get the woo ring... I’ve emailed them asking but if anyone has help that would be great!

Costco delivered my 24" Grill on Friday, I managed to rope the Wife into helping me lift it onto the trolley.  I'm planning on doing a "run in" cook this week.    

Posted Images

Did you go for the YNNI divide and conquer? 

Ive done 3 cooks now.

The second was high temp searing some burgers, and one of the Costco 1/4lb hot dogs. Burgers I burned... lack of experience and a temp probe there, the dog and Halloumi fries were incredible.  

Today I tried my first brisket slow cook. Just over half a kilo for two of us. Got a very nice flavour but it was tough. Not dry but tough. Pulled it off at a probed 67C after it plateaued there. Wrapped it with some BBQ sauce then it went back on and it rose to about 77. I tried tips from multiple different recipes which probably didn’t help me. I did cut across the grain so that wasn’t the issue. What would it have been? Simply overdoing? Grill Temp was 100-110C mostly, did creep up to 130C at one point, wasn’t stable like I thought it was but I got it back down. Tips would be greatly appreciated so I can try again, very disappointed in myself! But got to start somewhere.

You didn't get the meat anywhere near done.  The tough part of a brisket won't break down below 195 F - 205 F.  You quit at around 171 F, resulting in a still tough piece of meat.  Brisket is done when a toothpick will slide in with very little resistance,  never before.

Hang around here, read a lot and ask questions.  You probably don't have a deep bench of BBQ experts in the UK.  I suspect it's the warm beer killing the taste buds... :-D

That explains it! Most places did seem to say it needs to be up at that temperature, but some didn’t so inexperience and impatience made me take it off then. I will try get a feel for the tenderness with the probe next time as well. 

Thats where I’m sourcing most of my basic use of the grill knowledge, I don’t know anyone personally who has one of these or cooks this way so it’s google YouTube and trial and error I’m riding off :-D it could well be ;-)

I will be sure to try again soon and post my results. I’m desperate to get the flavour and tenderness I’m imagining in my mind....

• 9 months later...

hi there, this is all an interesting read. Im in the UK also aand have just bought the Louisiana Grills 24" Kamado from Costco.

I see on Amazon and Kamado.co.uk that there are the YNNI 23" accessories but want to check if anyone has used them on the Louisiana Grills. Im particularly interested in the fire basket, divide and conquer system and the cast iron plate and grill.

Any advice or your experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks

On 4/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, Glwills said:

hi there, this is all an interesting read. Im in the UK also aand have just bought the Louisiana Grills 24" Kamado from Costco.

I see on Amazon and Kamado.co.uk that there are the YNNI 23" accessories but want to check if anyone has used them on the Louisiana Grills. Im particularly interested in the fire basket, divide and conquer system and the cast iron plate and grill.

Any advice or your experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks

I got the 23 inch Ynni divide and conquer and fits fine, ash does as the Ynni ash basket 23-25inch one.

You can also then get 49.5cm cooking surfaces for it. Think i am going to get the half moon cast iron grate and the reversible flat plate for it.

I am not sure if the rotisserie fits for it though! 

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, TobyLeRone said:

That explains it! Most places did seem to say it needs to be up at that temperature, but some didn’t so inexperience and impatience made me take it off then. I will try get a feel for the tenderness with the probe next time as well. 

Thats where I’m sourcing most of my basic use of the grill knowledge, I don’t know anyone personally who has one of these or cooks this way so it’s google YouTube and trial and error I’m riding off :-D it could well be ;-)

I will be sure to try again soon and post my results. I’m desperate to get the flavour and tenderness I’m imagining in my mind....

HI Toby, not sure if you still pop into this forum anymore. I just ordered the Louisiana 24" from Costco and hope to get it next week. I was wondering how you have been getting on with yours over the last year? 

I am in Hampshire too... - New Milton....

• 5 weeks later...

I also purchased the Louisiana 24" grill from Costco UK & I'm currently waiting for delivery.  A big thanks to the guys who have contributed on this thread re modifications they've made and sources for UK accessories. I'll be taking some photographs of the Kamado once it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 12:20 AM, Handyjayes said:

HI Toby, not sure if you still pop into this forum anymore. I just ordered the Louisiana 24" from Costco and hope to get it next week. I was wondering how you have been getting on with yours over the last year? 

I am in Hampshire too... - New Milton....

Hello! I hadn’t been on in a while no! 
awesome! Yes it’s still going great, many successful cooks. Smoking slow cooks, bbq’s and prob my favourite discovery is pizzas :P

you must have yours by now, how are you getting on?

On 8/2/2020 at 2:28 PM, repeat offender said:

Costco delivered my 24" Grill on Friday, I managed to rope the Wife into helping me lift it onto the trolley.  I'm planning on doing a "run in" cook this week.

IMG_20200731_152529.jpg

IMG_20200801_100445.jpg

IMG_20200801_100651.jpg

IMG_20200801_100744.jpg

IMG_20200801_175925.thumb.jpg.5ba24722320db63b6dbba4f371296dc0.jpg

Looks awesome! Seems you have the newer version than mine that I saw in store earlier this year. Has the latest Kamado joe upgrades with the new gasket and new air lift style hinge :good:

bit jealous! Haha

how are you getting on?

On 4/29/2020 at 3:27 PM, Jonnyowl said:

I got the 23 inch Ynni divide and conquer and fits fine, ash does as the Ynni ash basket 23-25inch one.

You can also then get 49.5cm cooking surfaces for it. Think i am going to get the half moon cast iron grate and the reversible flat plate for it.

I am not sure if the rotisserie fits for it though! 

Would you say it’s worth it? I’ve been umm-ing and ahh-Ing about it and I don’t know if it’s really worth having. 
I modded mine by cutting the hinge on the upper level grill so I could use one and a half levels. Stock because it folds you can only use one or the other, now I can use one, both or one and a half. 
I do want to get a cooking plate for it. Do you have a link to the one you got?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 9:42 PM, TobyLeRone said:

Looks awesome! Seems you have the newer version than mine that I saw in store earlier this year. Has the latest Kamado joe upgrades with the new gasket and new air lift style hinge :good:

bit jealous! Haha

how are you getting on?

Not bad Toby,  still experimenting I'd say.  I would echo Highlander's comment below,  this thing REALLY holds it's temp well, if you over shoot by a decent margin it takes a while to bring it back down.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:29 PM, Highlander said:

start small with the fire, get it up to temp slowly. if it gets too hot, you'll never get it down again. i love mine (only had it 3 weeks)

Yeah I still am and I’ve had it a year! You’ll always be learning. It does, after doing a pizza cook and closing all the vents it takes like hours to cool down just the residual heat. 

I’m definitely going to invest in an ask basket for mine soon, don’t know what else after that but I do want an ash basket