TobyLeRone

Louisiana Grills Kamado - Costco UK

You won't be disappointed. The things i discovered are that need a reasonable amount of charcoal in for all burns and start small with the fire, get it up to temp slowly. if it gets too hot, you'll never get it down again. i love mine (only had it 3 weeks)

Did you go for the YNNI divide and conquer? 

Ive done 3 cooks now.

The second was high temp searing some burgers, and one of the Costco 1/4lb hot dogs. Burgers I burned... lack of experience and a temp probe there, the dog and Halloumi fries were incredible.  

Today I tried my first brisket slow cook. Just over half a kilo for two of us. Got a very nice flavour but it was tough. Not dry but tough. Pulled it off at a probed 67C after it plateaued there. Wrapped it with some BBQ sauce then it went back on and it rose to about 77. I tried tips from multiple different recipes which probably didn’t help me. I did cut across the grain so that wasn’t the issue. What would it have been? Simply overdoing? Grill Temp was 100-110C mostly, did creep up to 130C at one point, wasn’t stable like I thought it was but I got it back down. Tips would be greatly appreciated so I can try again, very disappointed in myself! But got to start somewhere.

You didn't get the meat anywhere near done.  The tough part of a brisket won't break down below 195 F - 205 F.  You quit at around 171 F, resulting in a still tough piece of meat.  Brisket is done when a toothpick will slide in with very little resistance,  never before.

Hang around here, read a lot and ask questions.  You probably don't have a deep bench of BBQ experts in the UK.  I suspect it's the warm beer killing the taste buds... :-D

That explains it! Most places did seem to say it needs to be up at that temperature, but some didn’t so inexperience and impatience made me take it off then. I will try get a feel for the tenderness with the probe next time as well. 

Thats where I’m sourcing most of my basic use of the grill knowledge, I don’t know anyone personally who has one of these or cooks this way so it’s google YouTube and trial and error I’m riding off :-D it could well be ;-)

I will be sure to try again soon and post my results. I’m desperate to get the flavour and tenderness I’m imagining in my mind....