Sign in to follow this  
kamado mofo

What is the best way to control smoke level on a Kamado

Hello All!!! Getting my Kamodo dialed in. Thought I had a gasket issue, but Brian at Hi-Que gave me lots of knowledge about fire control on my grill. Any tips on controlling the level of smoke applied to the cook would be appreciate by this rookie!

Welcome glad to have you with us. 

On fire control, the best thing to learn is that the size of your fire is determined by how much air you feed it through your vent settings, not how much fuel you put in the fire box. Fill your fire box completely full for each cook, and then start with only one small fire in the center of your lump and let the fire develop slowly from there for low and slow and moderate heat cooks up to 425 degrees. For high heat cook like pizza I use three fire starters as I want high heat quickly. An important Pizza tip is to measure your pizza stone temp and use that not your dome temp. Your stone temp will often be significantly less than your dome temp until your ceramics fully heat sinc. When it comes to wood smoke, I find often, less is more. It is quite easy to over smoke food. After learning this the hard way, I realized that a lot of my early BBQ cooks were way over smoked. It is especially easy to over smoke poultry and fish, and even large cuts of beef can bring on a sharp after taste from too much smoke. So for a couple of actual tips; 1. Do not think that when adding smoke during a cook your top vent should be putting out a constant stream of smoke during a multi hour cook,  as this will often, IMO, lead to over smoking. 2. 20 minutes of smoke during a long cook is often plenty enough to deliver very pleasing flavor. 3. The best way I have found to consistently provide the correct level of smoke is to use only one fist size wood chunk. Wrap the chunk tightly in aluminum foil, being careful to push out all the air. When tightly wrapped, pierce the foil with a sharp temp probe, making only two small pin prick  holes. When your coals are ready for food and you put meat on, add the foil wrapped chunk, to the middle of your lump pile onto of your fire. When the smoke is done, you have enough smoke for the large majority of cooks you will do. 4. trial and error will lead you to the right wood for a specific  cook. A short primer of my taste would be, Poultry,  just a good handful of fresh  rosemary sprigs. Fish, alder. Pork, Apple. Beef, Pecan. Hope this helps get you started. Ps. I just put HiQue gold standard gaskets on my large Egg. Definitely the best gaskets I have ever found. Those guys seem to really know what they are doing. . 

For chicken usually the lump itself will have enough smoke profile for me. 

For low-n-slow I go about it differently than most people. I like smaller wood chunks the size of a Bic lighter. I'll spread a small layer of lump in the bottom then a layer of wood chunks. A thin sporadic layer of the wood chunks. Finally fill it the rest of the way full of lump. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      I made the best pork belly ever with smoke flavour as well as 100% perfect crackling.
      Take your pork belly and do a lot more scoring on the skin and if you have one of those goodies with lots of spikes then spike the skin. Then ladle boiling water over the skin about 10-15 time to make sure the skin has boiled up a little. Pat dry and then place skin side down on a bed of salt, leave in fridge for 12-24 hours.
      After that just wipe the salt off the skin and add your favorite rub on the meat side.
      Cook indirect heat at 200-220°C until internal Temp is at 75°C perfection.
      Keep smoking 

• By Casey
      I have an opportunity to buy a Monolith classic (by size, pretty sure it isn't Le Chef) and looking for opinions on both the grill itself and whether it's a good price. About 1 year old, in good condition, with stones/grates, a CyberQ Cloud controller, and a table built by the owner. Unsure how well the control fan works (I couldn't get it to start with the CyberQ just fiddling around without lighting coals, and the owner said they never really figured it out). I've worked the seller down from $1575 to $1100 for everything, no tax, I pick it up myself. 

1. What do you think about this brand and model? An established German company but only in the US market a few years without much penetration yet. Made in China, maybe at the KJ factory? 
      2. Is this a fair price, or should I try to work lower? I had planned to go with either the Ceramic Akorn or Grilla Kong at lower prices (without table), but is this worth spending a little extra?

Thanks.
      caseymcmillan@hotmail.com

• By Jeirinlo
      Kamado Joe Classic I for sale, 4 years old, used condition, has crack on firebox (as probably all used Kamados) but that doesn’t affect the cooking. NEVER used lighter fluid always used high quality chips / charcoal

UPDATES:
      Wheels replaced last week
      Gasket replaced last week
      Back springs replaced 2 weeks ago (now the lid won’t fall by accident!)

INCLUDES:
      Cast iron cart
      Finished Folding HDPE Side Shelves
      Cover
      3 deflector plates
      2 half-moon stainless steel grate
      1 grate/grill lifter
      1 ash poker
      1 accessory rack
      1 flexible cooking rack
      1 pizza stone
      1 soapstone
      1 grilling glove

Asking for $550 OBO.
      Pick up at North Miami Beach (33162), can deliver to Miami-Dade/Broward for a fee

• By jpp
      hi everyone

Just wanted to give you a feedback on my experience so far with the dojoe (on kamado big joe)

i have a very mixed feeling with this accessory. i am loving all others kamado accessories however

From access to the center of stone (very small opening), temperature control (most of the time below my required temperature (i like to cook pizza close to 700deg f) ) and the impossibility to cool down the charcoal for a next cook (you cannot close the dome until it cool down completely) i have very negative feelings about this product.

But the most annoying thing for me is the charcoal consumption to reach an acceptable temperature...it is just unbelievable  the amount of charcoal you need to put inside the kamado just to cook couple of pizzas

i have made a quick calculation and i would reimburse almost a dedicated pizza oven (like ooni pro) in less than 10-15 cooks only vs the amount of charcoal i am putting right now 

i have made several trials (almost 7) and my conclusion is simple: i will stop cooking with the dojoe and invest in a dedicated pizza oven...i gave up... and i can tell you it does require a lot for me the give up something i invested 300usd

could be good to share your feedback on this product. maybe i raised my expectations to high

• By Chap Swinson
      Bbqube temperature controller.  Like new.  Used once or twice.  $80 plus cost of shipping.  PM if interested.  South Carolina.