Jayx241

Tried pizza on the Kamado BJ

Hello. This 4th of July had people over (they couldn't stop talking about the Kamado Joe), and we did some stakes, burgers (which they came awesome) but with the celebration going on forgot to take pictures.

Also tried to make a lobster and another pepperoni pizza with home made sauce. Did a 480g of flour with 73% hydration and found out the dough was a little wet to work with, it came out good but hard to work with. Everyone did like the taste and the crust. However I was not too crazy about the crust.

Had a little lobster and pepperoni leftovers and decided to try the pizza again yesterday, this time I used 70% hydration and it was much better to work with. The first pizza (lobster one) I left for cooking for 8 minutes and although it was incredible tasty and good, the crust was still not crispy enough for my taster, the pepperoni I decided to leave for 10 minutes and the crust came out perfectly, very happy with the results. Here are some pictures.

LOBSTER PIZZA

1.thumb.jpg.1d1d2646696a73a37d14938bc3e4c389.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.8e70591a7e96ebe6f3ba39b473161224.jpg

PEPPERONI PIZZA

3.thumb.jpg.8e374c33191c12c3bdd3b7d15c3a07ce.jpg

Your pizza looks delicious.  I'm dying to ask, how do you do the lobster... do you just put it on the pizza uncooked?  Or do you do anything with it prior to putting it on the pizza?  I like seared scallops on pizza (with a nice crust to them) but I add them after I pull the pizza off the grill, as a post-cook top dressing.

4 hours ago, JABF99 said:

Your pizza looks delicious.  I'm dying to ask, how do you do the lobster... do you just put it on the pizza uncooked?  Or do you do anything with it prior to putting it on the pizza?  I like seared scallops on pizza (with a nice crust to them) but I add them after I pull the pizza off the grill, as a post-cook top dressing.

Hi Jab, I did steam the lobster the day before, didn't want to grill it or bake it so it wouldn't be too dry. I did followed the rules for steaming reference the lobster weight and they came out very juicy and soft. I cut it in very small size (really small but not shredded) and after putting some small amount of the sauce I put some of the lobster all over the pizza, then covered with fresh mozzarella and that's it.

Some people do suggest to use a white sauce but I really don't like the texture and taste so I do prefer the fresh tomato pizza sauce. Hope this helps.

Jayx