Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

Cheap pizza deflector

Hi All,

I've just purchased my first Kamado. I previously had a cheap offset smoker and it was struggle to get my head around this method. But i'm beyond delighted. Once you get the knack of getting it lit and no running away in temp it hold its temp so easily. Did my first pork sholder(Butt) and it far exceeded my expectations.

Anyway, tried pizza's this weekend. I'd read that it was better to have 2 stones to deflect the heat from the actual one you were cooking on. Got round that with a few layers of foil hung off the fire box. worked really well and pizza turned out really good.

http://tinypic.com/r/33zfh5i/9

great idea

i used a cheap pizza stone placed on top of the grill grates supplied with the kamado then the pizza is higher in the dome and then you also benefit from the radiant heat from the dome, the only problem with that is after 6 uses it cracked in half so i spent £30 on a Kamado Joe pizza stone from Homebase which is twice as thick and haven't looked back.

P.s. the 2 half pizza stones come in very handy for 2 zone cooking and deviding the fire box when using a rotisserie