Starter port

mori55

I want to get rid of the mesh starter port piece in the fire bowl. If I unbolt it then I have a hole in the firebox the coal falls in. 

I know I could get KickAsh basket but I really don’t want that. Any ideas ?

I don't have a pic of it but I remember a post by a  guy who cut a piece of fire brick to fit the hole and then used high heat JB weld to cement it into place. When I cooked on a Vision Pro C, the ash drawer assembly was a source of air leaks from day one. However, I did not address it other than closing it and never using it after about the first week I had my Vision. It leaked, but did not stop me from holding adequate temp for low and slow and all manner of moderate heat and high heat cooks as well. I cooked on the Vision for probably two to three years and managed to turn out some amazing meals. My advice is just close it and cook. 

I keep the ash drawer on my Pro S closed at all times.  It's pretty well sealed and whatever little leakage there may be has never prevented me from holding very low temps for very long periods of time.  To remove ash from the bowl and tray, I remove the cast iron piece with the screen bolted to it and clean up with a shop vac.  

• 3 weeks later...

^ This.  I sealed mine long ago when I added an adapter port for the Party Q/ pit controller.  The port seals tightly with a silicone plug.  No electric starter door leaks since.

I didnt pick up on it right away, but @mori55 posted about removing the mesh starter port, then @Larry R posted a nice idea he found on FB, but did you happen to notice who posted it on FB? LOL

I had to creep a little bit to mori's FB profile, but the same avatar picture for the profile here of the hugging kids shows up on FB. I had a chuckle anyway.

Looks like a nice solution Mori! That FB group has a lot of great folks posting a myriad of different things. Really helps!

On 7/31/2019 at 3:10 PM, CaptainMusky said:

I didnt pick up on it right away, but @mori55 posted about removing the mesh starter port, then @Larry R posted a nice idea he found on FB, but did you happen to notice who posted it on FB? LOL

I had to creep a little bit to mori's FB profile, but the same avatar picture for the profile here of the hugging kids shows up on FB. I had a chuckle anyway.

Looks like a nice solution Mori! That FB group has a lot of great folks posting a myriad of different things. Really helps!

Good catch. I didn't even take notice at the name similarities. LOL..