Sign in to follow this  
lnarngr

Negative Calorie Diet

AKA the cabbage soup diet is what I prefer to adopt to lose weight. Mike's Negative Calorie diet is the one I use. The theory is to eat something that takes more calories to digest than it yields. It has far more vegetables than just cabbage. And I love vegetables! 

I just wanted to throw this out there as an alternative to the keto diet. I don't respond well to being unable to eat certain things. It causes craving. So, eat some of this, get some exercise, have a reasonable dinner and see what happens. I struggle to get more than a moderately sized bowl at lunch, as Mike recommends, but I am working on it. 

Good luck to anyone who tries it, but be forewarned, you will get a serious colon cleansing when you start this diet! 

5 hours ago, lnarngr said:

AKA the cabbage soup diet is what I prefer to adopt to lose weight. Mike's Negative Calorie diet is the one I use. The theory is to eat something that takes more calories to digest than it yields. It has far more vegetables than just cabbage. And I love vegetables! 

I just wanted to throw this out there as an alternative to the keto diet. I don't respond well to being unable to eat certain things. It causes craving. So, eat some of this, get some exercise, have a reasonable dinner and see what happens. I struggle to get more than a moderately sized bowl at lunch, as Mike recommends, but I am working on it. 

Good luck to anyone who tries it, but be forewarned, you will get a serious colon cleansing when you start this diet! 

Mrs philpom is a lifetime weight watchers member, cabbage soup is what that crowd calls "the soup of shame".  It's what you eat when you are not doing well.  It can help some folks get back on track for sure.  The thing for me though, it's a crash, whatever someone does for weight loss and health needs to be a life change, something you can live with forever.  

Veggies are delish, I eat plenty every day!

I think one of the biggest problems with long term negative calorie diets is that over time, they drop your metabolic rate, which then makes is increasingly difficult to KEEP losing weight, and additionally, makes it much EASIER to GAIN weight afterwards.

How many times have you heard/seen the "lost 15, gained 20" scenario?

Intermittent fasting seems to be a solution from everything I have been researching over the last 2-3 years.  At this time, I simply do NOT eat Mondays and Thursdays.  Nothing...zero calories from Sunday 7:00pm to Tuesday 5:00pm, and same from Wednesday 7:00pm to Friday 5:00pm.  I think this avoids any type of metabolic degradation (at least that's what I am telling myself).

I am down 20 pounds, eating to total satisfaction on other days, and can easily sustain this forever without restricting myself of anything really....though I do avoid carby foods, like Mike, to avoid insulin increases.

Intermittent fasting (IF). At first I was vehemently opposed. Did some more reading, met a coworker doing it, and I tried  it. I am OK with it. I figure it is helping my internal organs be restored. I have abused them with too much sugar for many years. My  sugar abuse was so refined, just like some of my sugar intake, that at times, I thought I was eating "healthy". Never did get into diabetes. Just insulin resistance.

Add sugar to the common addiction list. That usually generates a "yeah right" from many. The only support group I know of for sugar addiction, is generated by one's self. Fortunately being a stubborn bugger, I could support myself.

M.

Y'all have my full attention. I just heard about the 5:2 diet. 2,500 calories five days and 600 two days. I think it would be easier for me to try this and ease into the zero calorie method when I tire of counting calories. MTF