97redz3

Big Joe DoJoe Review

My first cook on my new DoJoe came out great. This is an impressive, well-designed, and well-made accessory. Expensive, yes. But the ability to see/check on your pizza cook and slide in pizza after pizza without opening the lid is soooo nice. I had perfect back to back pizzas on my first attempt. Mine were done in 7-8 mins at a dome and stone temp of 550-570F. Parchment paper made launching and removing the pizza clean and easy. Man, did my patio smell good while they were baking. 

The Big Joe version of the DoJoe is ... well, BIG. It’s also heavy once loaded up with deflectors and a large pizza stone. it’s certainly manageable, but I suggest a practice run or two without a fire just to see how it handles fully loaded. Ring storage takes some planning. I chose to hang the ring in the garage, and the stone lives in the kitchen. 

One negative is the inability to snuff out the fire after cooking. I made the mistake of starting with a full load of lump and ended up burning 3/4 of it overnight even with the lower vent completely closed. 

Overall, I’m very pleased with the DoJoe!

Hello fellow St. Louisan. Thank you for the review. I also have the Big Joe DoJoe, but haven't used it yet. You talked about something I was concerned about...how to snuff out the fire. Looks like it's just not possible. If that fire is going there's no way to safely pull out the DoJoe and its components. Too hot!

6 hours ago, Teajunkie said:

Hello fellow St. Louisan. Thank you for the review. I also have the Big Joe DoJoe, but haven't used it yet. You talked about something I was concerned about...how to snuff out the fire. Looks like it's just not possible. If that fire is going there's no way to safely pull out the DoJoe and its components. Too hot!

Yeah, I didn’t want to risk moving it while hot. It just seemed like a recipe for disaster. I may ping KJ and see if they have any suggestions for extinguishing the fire after a DoJoe cook. 

Wasn’t it nice of KJ to paint our Joes in Cardinal Red? Maybe they’ll come out with a Blues version next to honor their Stanley Cup win. :-)

16 hours ago, 97redz3 said:

Yeah, I didn’t want to risk moving it while hot. It just seemed like a recipe for disaster. I may ping KJ and see if they have any suggestions for extinguishing the fire after a DoJoe cook. 

Wasn’t it nice of KJ to paint our Joes in Cardinal Red? Maybe they’ll come out with a Blues version next to honor their Stanley Cup win. :-)

Let me know what KJ says about dousing a DoJoe fire. I'm very interested.

Haha, well, I am the most unsporty guy in the known universe, but I do like my red Big Joe. One of the ceramic manufacturers does have a blue model. I can't remember who...Louisiana Grills, maybe?

From Kamado Joe’s customer service:

Thank you for reaching out to us. After the cook, I would close up the bottom vent so no air is coming through the grill and let the DoJoe cool down a bit. Remove it with some kind of hot glove and then close the dome and close up the top vent to put out the fire.