Gassing a Butt

John Setzler

• 3 weeks later...

@TKOBBQ @S. Madrid

The gas grill held temps as good as any charcoal grill ever could even with a temp controller.  There is no difference in time.  There was no difference in how I would cook or prepare the butt based on the grill I am using... it's always the same.  I do like the flavor better in the charcoal environment.  I am still workign with the gas grill to see if I can get it to taste as good.  I need to use more smoke on my next cook because I only used about 90 minutes of smoke here and the smoke flavor was minimal in my end result.

John,

thanks for the info and the follow up.  What is the make and model of the grill?  I'm surprised about it holding temps, that has always been the issue for gas grills in my experience.  My assumption is that you were referring to a charcoal grill such as a Weber kettle vice a kamado?

Steve

1 hour ago, S. Madrid said:

John,

thanks for the info and the follow up.  What is the make and model of the grill?  I'm surprised about it holding temps, that has always been the issue for gas grills in my experience.  My assumption is that you were referring to a charcoal grill such as a Weber kettle vice a kamado?

Steve

Napoleon Prestige Pro 500.  It held temps solid as a rock.  I was referring to any charcoal grill.