First fire

7 hours ago, RichM said:

How much lump coal do you put in the kamado Joe 2?  This will be a test run, on cooking evolved.

7 hours ago, Teajunkie said:

Fill 'er up! When cooking with a kamado you really don't need to measure the lump you think you'll use. Just fill it up. Whatever is leftover at the end of the cook can be used next time.

And lately, with the cooks I have been doing, I am able to get 2 or 3 cooks before I need to refill the lump.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, Teajunkie said:

Fill 'er up! When cooking with a kamado you really don't need to measure the lump you think you'll use. Just fill it up. Whatever is leftover at the end of the cook can be used next time.

Because you close the vents when you finish cooking to shut down the grill. One of the many benefits of the kamado. If the seals are functioning it will be starved of air (oxygen) you'll have plenty leftover. 

Fill it full sometimes my deflector plates are resting on the pile of charcoal. After your done just close vents and shut it down, my coals are out after 2 hrs, your time might be different  .Like Golf Griller you can get several more cooks on the used coals. But keep in mind the used coals may not get as hot as fresh coal, i can get a 700 degree pizza, whole roast chicken, burgers and a steak on a full load, with no new coals added. Each grill is different and it will take some learning.But the important thing is to enjoy your grill.